Chapter Six - Apples and Arrows

I thought living in the Training Centre was going to be worse than living in District 12 during a starvation period, but it turned out that I was actually somewhat wrong. My quarters were large, perhaps even larger than my house back in 12, and all the tributes were going to be fed and watered every morning, noon and night. None of us were going to starve. Perhaps the reason for this was so we looked better in the arena, but whatever reason it was for, I didn't care and would eat as much as I could each time. I might even get to hide my ribs, I thought to myself happily, as I tucked myself into my warm bed, ready for breakfast the next day.

I woke up from my dreams of fire and black horses to find sunlight streaming through my window, causing me to blink rapidly. Was I late for breakfast? I hoped not, I didn't want to look like an idiot stumbling into the car, late and at the wrath of Effie. I sat up in my bed, rubbing my eyes and groaning slightly.

As I sat up further, I then noticed that there was an outfit laid out for me at the end of my bed. I picked it up, curiously. It consisted of tight, black trousers made out of a thick material, with a grey stripe down each of the legs, which was bordered nicely by thin red stripes either side. There was also a black shirt made of the same material, which zipped up at the top. The sleeves were short and had the number 12 on each of them, along with thick red and grey stripes that went to below where my shoulder blades were going to be. There was also a number 12 on my back, placed right in the middle of where my shoulder blades would be. For my feet, there were a pair of socks and laced, black boots that had soles that would grip to the floor. The boots would come to roughly half way up my shins. I examined this outfit once more and that was when it clicked - today was the first of three days of training...and I was probably going to make Grayson and I late. Because of this, I got changed as quickly as possible, lacing up the boots and doing up the small zip on the top of the shirt about half way, so the collar didn't choke me to death.

The shirt really was quite tight on my waist and whole torso. It clung to me, meaning that it would reveal to the other tributes how frail I actually was. In that dress from the ceremony, nobody could see how brittle I was through the flame. I just looked like some sort of toothpick now. I would also have to be careful not to stretch too high above my head, because the shirts weren't the longest things and it would slide up, revealing my pale stomach. Despite how tight it was in some areas, it fitted me just right and was actually somewhat comfortable and easy to move in. In some ways, it was the perfect training outfit.

After I had out my hair into a messy side plait, I briskly walked towards the dining car. To my dismay, Haymitch, Effie and Grayson were already there. When I entered, Effie tutted in disapproval and Haymitch muttered a few things under his breath, evidently annoyed at my time keeping. Grayson, who was wearing the same outfit as me, smiled weakly and continued to eat the piece of toast that he held in his hands.

I sat myself down opposite Grayson and picked up a roll. We both ate in silence as Effie ticked off things on her lists and muttered under her breath. Eventually, Haymitch put down his bottle of liquor down long enough to discuss training with Grayson and I.

"So, what are you guys good at? Boy, you speak first." Haymitch asked, looking at the two of us, his face now serious. Grayson shrugged and looked up at our mentor.

"Nothing, really." He answered, blushing bashfully. Haymitch raised his eyebrows and so did I. Grayson knew how to make snares, yes, not very good ones, but badly done snares are better than none when you're in the arena.

"Come on, kid. You've got to be good at something." Haymitch persisted, now picking up his bottle once more, taking a huge swig from it. Well the putting down the bottle certainly didn't last long. He looked at Grayson, who was shaking his head slowly. I decided to speak up for him.