Saying Goodbye

Lancelot found Merlin splashing water from the lake on his face. Lancelot purposefully walked loudly enough that Merlin turned around and saw him. He relaxed at the sight of his friend. Lancelot sat beside him and was silent. He let Merlin talk when he wanted to.

"Gaius is - was - everything to me. He was like a father. I've watched him die before. I didn't think about the fact that I'd have to again."

"Gaius was an old man," Lancelot said. "I know that doesn't make it better, but - "

"It makes it worse," Merlin said. "It means that he died for nothing. He didn't die a noble, brave death; he was an old man who refused treatment for his ailments." Lancelot looked at Merlin sympathetically.

"He accomplished so much in his life," Lancelot assured Merlin. "He helped so many people. His death may have been pointless, but his life wasn't."

"Thank you, Lancelot," said Merlin gratefully. "You are a good friend. You always were." Lancelot smiled humbly, and Merlin continued. "You're probably my best friend."

"I don't think so!" laughed Lancelot. "Arthur's a better man than me."

"No. It's not fair to compare you two. Arthur has a place in my heart forever. Our souls are tied in destiny. But remember what Kilgarrah said? You are the bravest and most noble knight of all. It is hard to compare my dearest friends, but you were certainly the one I trusted the most. You knew of my magic from the beginning. So, thank you."

"You're welcome?" said Lancelot hesitantly. Merlin cleared his throat and stood up. The time for grieving was past.

"We need to be friends," he said with certainty. "All of us. We can't bring back Albion if we hate each other."

"About that," started Lancelot. "Morgau- "

"What has she done," snapped Merlin. "I knew it! I knew it was a mistake to - "

"Merlin! What she did is not a bad thing. She suggested that we give Gaius a funeral on the lake. With that," he said, gesturing to the moored boat. Merlin looked very surprised.

"That is a good idea. It will symbolize the return of Albion."

"No, don't say that!" Lancelot said. "The return of Albion is death? That's such a morbid thought."

"Sorry," said Merlin. He sighed. "And yet, it is true. There is nothing like a tragic death to either bring people together or tear them apart. Gaius did not die in vain. In his name, we will return Albion."

0O0O0O0

"Arthur?" asked Percival from the doorway, waking the king. He hadn't even realized he had fallen asleep. Morgana stirred in Arthur's lap and he could feel her waking up. She raised her head and sat up straight. She noticed Percival in the doorway.

"Hello Percival," Arthur said. "What is it?" Percival had some difficulty answering.

"We're going to - I mean, we thought - Morgause thought, actually - "

"Out with it!" Morgana commanded. He glanced at her in surprise, but obeyed.

"We're going to burn Gaius in the boat on the lake," he let out in one breath. Arthur smiled slightly.

"That's fitting," he said. He stood up and offered Morgana a hand. She accepted silently. "What is it?" Arthur asked. She looked at Percival.

"Morgause had this idea?" she asked gently, trying to make up for snapping earlier. He seemed to understand her tone, and responded in a kind voice.

"She has been surprisingly helpful," he said. Morgana smiled at him gratefully. Even if he didn't trust her or Morgause, he hid it well. "We should go," he suggested. "Lancelot is getting Merlin."