Chapter Seven - Round Six

Chapter Seven

          Adrenaline, anger, and hatred all together pulsed through my veins when realization of what was happening slowly sank in. The last two of the options gradually faded as we circled a couple of times. His tongue smothered me of air after I granted him permission in. His lips were warm, he was warm; regardless of the fact he was dripping wet.

          On his lead, we took a sharp side dive into the pool and everything was cut off. The rush, the anger, the hatred, the disgust… the kiss; everything was swept away by the artificial waves of the pool.         

          I slowly sank in. Drowning almost became inevitable for me, until my feet reached the very bottom. I stood up and the water stopped at my chest.

          Before everything else, I tried to catch my breath. Eventually, his unremorseful laughter filled the hollow space of the place, sending my anger-meter up the roof.

          “That’s for little Banks.” He said and carried on laughing, slowly sauntering towards me. “Although I… I’d love to do it again.”

          That was when I lost it.

          Giving out all the strength left in me after cruelly panting for my dear life, I sent my right hand in contact to his left eye—a good shot with a lot of passion and hate in it.

          “You rotten persistent bastard!” I yelled in anger. “You may rot more in hell!”

          And I swam away.

                                               *                    *                    *

          “I just hope that that black eye would stay on his face for good.”

          Erica was still laughing. A laugh that had been prolonged for almost an hour—be it that as unbelievable as it sounds. Her tone of pleasure sent ringing to my ears I could barely hear anything.

          I rolled my eyes. “Okay Erica, you have to stop laughing.”

          She carried on and I had the immediate urge to kick her off my bed.

          “Seriously?”

          She soothed herself, failing. Tears were starting to form in her eyes, her shrill voice was echoing throughout the whole room. “F—fine… O—okay, okay. I’m s—stop… stoppin’… nah-ha-ha-haw—now!”

          Shaking my head for a slight, I turned my attention to Kasey, who was tracing the moldings of my picture frame. “Kasey… how about you? What do you plan on doing?”

          “Huh?” If I didn’t know better, I’d think she was some nerd shoes who always slip in and out of reality. “What do I plan on doing about what?”

          “About tomorrow. Are you all set?” I asked.

          She put her hands in her back pocket, as she sauntered towards my bed, where I was sitting. “Oh, about that… I don’t know. Should I go, Noah?”

          I frowned. “Why did it sound like you were asking permission from me?”

          She glanced down nervously. “Because… I kind of am.”

          “Why the hell are you asking me permission to join that stupid competition?” Glowering at Kasey, I pushed laughing Erica out of my bed—a successful attempt of making her stop laughing. Sometimes, I don’t know if Kasey has a mind of her own, although she’s pretty normal and cool most of the times.

          She puckered brows. “Because of that. You think it’s stupid and you’re my friend. You seem to unjustly hate Ryan so much and I have to consider what you feel because you’re my friend.”

          She was right and I was illicitly guilty. I didn’t realize my hatred for Banks had caused so much pressure to the people around me.

          “Kasey… my situation and your situation is completely different. That’s why you should go, if you want.” I said. “You don’t have any reason not to.”

          “As you don’t.”

          For a moment, I was taken aback by her response, but have come to realize she was almost right.

          I stayed silent for a moment until I found my tongue and thoughts back to speak. “Look, you have to go. You can provide me inside information every day.”

          “No, I’m not.” She said. “I’m not because you’re going in with me.”

          I growled. “I’m not Kasey! Don’t be ridiculous!”

          “Look Noah. All they want is a good show. Go inside and be a bitch, then he’ll eliminate you for sure. Just do what he doesn’t want when you got the information you need and you’ll be out.”

           “No, no, no, no!” Erica cried. “Noah, that’s it! You have to be inside to get inside information! It’s the perfect plan!”

          I grunted. “For once Erica, I don’t care about the fucking paper. I just want him out of my life.”

          She shook her head enthusiastically. “Just think about it. If this is Banks’ way of getting revenge, then he’ll appreciate it if you get pissed off all the time. You don’t think he’ll allow you to ditch tomorrow, do you? The best way to get back at him is to play the game and be good at it—which is by making him fall in love with you and mess his head up.”

          The room was silent for a moment. Even Kasey was probably agonizing over the idea. If I were to do that, I’d get inside information, I’d get my sweetest kind of revenge, and they’ll get a damn good show. At that instant, I knew what to do.

          “No.” I said. “I’m not that kind of person Erica. I’m not one to play with someone else’s emotion just to get what I want. My mind doesn’t operate on that level.”

          “I’d have to go with Noah on this one Erica. Even if she was chosen the most unbelievable, unacceptable way, she doesn’t have the right to mess with him that way.  I mean, just what will that say about her.”

          “Fine.” Erica sat back at my bed and opened my laptop. “But you have to go Noah. Cut whatever relationship you have with Banks once and for all, if that’s what you want.”

          At that, three knocks came from my door and my mother’s head snuck in as it opened.

          “Some tasty treat, girls.” She said. I stood up to get the tray from her and kissed her thanks.

          “Sweet mother of God!” Erica exclaimed, her eyes as wide as the donuts my mom brought in. “Guys, look!”

          “What?” Kasey and I unanimously cried as we both hurried to lie beside her.

          Erica giggled in her strident voice. “Jonas just posted the photos from the ball! Did you ask him to do that?”

          “Of course. That’s his job as the photographer of our paper Erica… you understand?” I said in a tiny voice as if I was trying to explain things to a five-year old kid. Kasey just laughed with Erica rolled her eyes.

          I turned my attention back to the photos and saw something eye-catching. “Woah, wait. Scroll back up.”

          Erica obeyed and I saw something worthwhile. “Kasey! You looked fabulous! I can’t believe I’m saying this but now I regret not going to the ball. I think I have to make an article about you. New girl catches the eye of Bachelor Ryan Banks: how does that sound?” As I searched her eyes for approval, her cheeks turned red beet.

          Then it hit me. “Oh my god…” I said. “You like Banks, don’t you?”

          A/N.

          Facebook on external link :]