Autumn Leaves - 5

One thing is for certain, I absolutely hate hospitals, there is no question about it. Elijah has called my Aunt; but she was out of town, back in the Blue Mountains so I'll be waiting a while before she shows up here. 

Elijah on the other hand refuses to leave my side, even though I'll probably be released from the hospital soon with nothing more than a sore arse and a lot of bruising. 

Once I am released from hospital, it's already eight thirty, and I'm absolutely hungry. "Elijah, I'm hungry," I complain, I don't think about the friendship I broke a while ago, because honestly, when I'm with Elijah it's different, normal, care-free. 

"How do you think I feel, I haven't eaten in ages; starve," he says, reversing from the parking lot. 

"But, I am hungry, being in hospital does that to you, please," I beg.

"Not going to work," he says not even glancing at me, I'll know he'll cave, if I just get him to look at me. 

"Elijah, please," I say one more time, I can see him glancing at me from the corner of his eye, I've won, I am not going home hungry tonight. 

He huffs, "Fine." And I can't help but grin. 

We drive to the nearest take-away shop, just near the edge of town, Joe's Joint; sounds like some smoking place, but hey, can't argue if there's going to be burgers.  Once inside, we glance up at the menu above the register, than we both look at each other and grin; saying in unison, "Hamburger please," then I add, "And a medium chips please with chicken salt." The man at the register looks bored; but rings up our order. 

In a monotone voice he says, "fifteen fifty, thanks."

Elijah fishes around in his pockets before he pulls out a twenty dollar note; handing it to the man, I retreat back to a table and sit down still wincing at the pain in my back and arse. Elijah stands to the side waiting for our order; clasping my hands together, I sigh and look out of the window, it's already dark and there are few stars in the sky; I sigh, thinking back to when Elijah and I would go out with the rest of our friends, movies, game centre, then we'd head to Pearl's Place and eat our way in junk food. Letting my head rest on my hand, I look back to Elijah, he's heading back this way with out food in his hands, I smile at him and he smiles back; it still feels so natural to smile at him like I used to. 

Ripping the greasy white paper open, I pull my hamburger out and dig into it, letting the juice of the pineapple and tomato drip down my chin, I don't care really, I am so hungry. Elijah hasn't even bitten into his yet, I look at him and he shakes his head at me, "You're still a pig, A."

Gulping down the last bite I had taken, "Yeah, and I learnt from the best, so I'd say you're more of a pig than I will ever be Lij." He grins before taking a huge bite, getting the sauce all over his face. 

After finishing our meal, we head back outside towards the car before Elijah stops walking and I stop as well to ask what's wrong; he's face is impassive though, but then saddness greets his face, "Why didn't you tell me you were going to leave Autumn?"

I don't know how to answer that.