Part 1 of Chapter 1

The sound of the doorbell was incredibly odd. It reminded her of her old musical box she got as a birthday present from her nanny, Merial, who died later that night.

It was the very first time she witnessed something like it.

It was around ten pm when she woke up for a glass of water.

Her hand on the banister, Jace raced down the wooden stairs where a fetid scent caught her senses. Anxious of what she would see, she dashed into the living room. Merial lay on the floor, her eyes open, blood oozing out of the slits on her wrists. 

Shocked, Jace ran and knelt next to her; tears clouding her eyesight. There were many things she wanted to say – that she loves her; that everything will be alright – but it was all too late. She could see that. Her nanny Merial was dead and there was nothing else she could do about it.

Clearing up her thoughts, she jogged for the front door and twisted the silver knob. As she opened it, she was suddenly brought back to the basement; as if she had teleported.

How did I get here? she asked herself.

Her hands were now soaking wet. Quietly, she stepped inside the room, still perplexed, when the door behind her suddenly shut close. There, Jace stood, drawing her breath in gasps; her knees trembling.

"Jace, dear," a voice called, "don't be scared." 

Slowly, a woman's figure appeared; brightly gleaming in the darkness.

"Wh-who are you?" she stuttered; awed by her exquisite beauty.

Then suddenly, everything became clear. It was that woman. The same woman who appeared in the mirror; the exact same woman whom she saw about two minutes ago. 

"It was you," she said, "who are you? What are you? And why are you here?"

The woman smiled, "Elouise Victoire is my name, dear, and I terribly need your uttermost aid."

And in just a split-second, Jace answered, "And why would I do that?"

"Because I told you to do so."

Abruptly, Elouise slipped her hand on Jace's forehead before everything went black.

A/N: Italicized sentences signify flashbacks :)