Dog Creature

Told by ReadingInDark

I live in a very small town surround in thick pine forests with a population of about 300 people. There is a legend of dog like creature that does not have a head and lives in the forest.

This legend has been passed down from genaration to genaration. Most kids in my town think the adults tell us this legend to keep us out of the forest. I used to believe that too, until I experienced this creature thing for myself.

My first experience with the headless dog creature was when I was nine. Me, my younger brother, my friend, and his older sister were all out in the back yard of my house that backs up into one of the pine forests.

We all decided to play Cowboys and Indians. My younger brother and my friend went to get Nerf guns, as they were the cowboys. Me and my friend's older sister were the Indians and decided to hide in the pine forest because the Cowboys would never look for us there.

We only went in maybe 200 feet. We just crouched down low by some brush and listened to the Cowboys try and find us. We knew we weren't supposed to be in the forest, but well, we did it anyway.

After a few minutes, it started to become very cold. It was odd becuse it was a very hot summer's day. We both started shivering and we were thinking about heading back now, but waited a little longer for some reason I can't remember.

All of a sudden green fog started rolling in. We both stood up quickly and started speed walking back to the house. We were very frightened now. When we made it half way back, a twig snapped behind us. We looked back and saw a body that resemble a dog, but it's head was missing.

For whatever reason we just stood there and looked at it. I don't know how to explain how it had no head--it just didn't. It a dark grey color and had long, shaggy, ungroomed hair.

After a few minutes the creature began walking towards us. We unfroze from our state of terror and ran out of the forest.

We told the story to my mother who, looking back on it now, was strangly understanding. She believed us without question and told us not to enter that forest without an adult again as it could be dangerous. She told us we were lucky to get out.

 She told us we were lucky to get out