Chapter 1

// detour (n.) //
A long or roundabout route that is taken to avoid something or to visit somewhere along the way.

~~~

Chapter 1
My Life Is A Mess

//hyunjoo's pov//

Okay. I admire people who cross the pedestrian lines even when the red light is on. Hell. I sometimes even panic crossing the road during the green light when I don't have people crossing it with meㅡwait, how am I thinking about this thing when I'm almost ten minutes late to my interview?

To be clear, I arrived in Seoul thirty minutes early before my college application interview but as I was going on my way, I spotted a very interesting bookstore. It has a very antique vibe on it. Dark woods. Books with tan pages. Really tall bookshelves andㅡthere were ladders! Most of all, interesting books I've been dying to read. I spent the whole time browsing and reading and adoring books that I didn't notice I was running late. I came out of the shop empty-handed. Bummer.

Running, I crossed the pedestrian lines. My earphones get tangled as I do, so I walked through the sidewalk, trying to fix it frustratedly because only the other piece worked if it's in knotsㅡwhen I heard a loud beep. A car's beep. Heh. Normal. And then it beeped again. Ha. It's right beside me. My eyes widened and I quickly ran to the other side of the road. I didn't realize there's another traffic light and it's on red. How many are there in Seoul? I never got this problem in my town. There were never that many vehicles around.

When I finally reached the building, my knees trembled and my heart hammered against my ribcage. I stepped foot inside the building and I saw studentsㅡmany of them. It's been so long since I've been in a very crowded place. Somehow, I managed to ask someone where I should be and he helped me by leading the way there.

"That's Ms. Kim Eun Hee's office. Are you here for an interview?" he asked nicely. The guy looked so familiar. I took my time to pinpoint where I've seen him. When he smiled, I looked away.

"O-oh, yes. Uh, thanks."

"It's Sungwoon, by the way. And I hope you wing that interview."

I looked at him in astonishment and disbelief. "OhㅡIㅡ" He's Sungwoon. My freshman high school crush. Doesn't he remember me? Why would he remember me when I barely remembered him? He was a senior to me and I wasn't really the popular type...

His eyebrows slowly come together. "Haven't I seen you before?" he asked.

"Highㅡhigh school, I think."

There was a knot on his forehead as he tried to remember, and then it was exchanged by a wider smile. If anything, he really looked better than I remember and he seems more... confident. "Oh yeah! Sorin's friend, right?"

I felt myself blush. Is that how people knew me back then? Sorin's friend? I nodded with a tight smile.

"Well, I really hope you get in." he said and my feet itched to proceed to the office but then he asked, "Sorry, what's your name again?"

"Hyunjoo." I replied quickly.

He grinned. "Okay, Hyunjoo. Hope to see you around again." He waved me good bye then disappeared in the crowd of students.