Chapter Twenty

After I had left the alley, I couldn't find any cars with gas left. I ended up having to trek the whole way back on foot. Between getting lost twice and avoiding snappers, it probably took me two hours to get back to the hospital. They all probably thought I was dead by now. Little did they know, they were half right. I sure looked the part of a snapper; my hair was a rats nest, my head hung down, my face was smeared with blood and dirt, I practically dragged my machete on the ground as I moved forward, my body was ridden with visible and physical exhaustion, and my clothes were torn up. I'd be surprised if someone didn't try and shoot me on sight.

There weren't many snappers to avoid on the ground, I had taken care of those. In fact, they had attracted almost all the snappers in the area to where I had left them. Most of those snappers were burnt or still on fire, once they went into the house, that caught as well. As I thought of that, an image flashed up in my mind. It was of a pink rain boot, one that belonged to a little girl. It was slowly burning, the rubber collapsing on itself. Soon, it would just become a forgotten memory, its significance burning away with the flames, marking it meaningless.

I was reluctant to look up. Even after hours of running, I would rather still run than walk in back in there and see everyone. I didn't want to see Lucy's dead body, and I definitely did not want everyone to freak out over how I looked or how I didn't care anymore. But the sad truth is that I had to go back, because I still had a friend to bury. But after that? I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I looked up and I didn't see anyone watching the door. That was weird. Someone should be there, especially after what I just did. There could have been more snappers. They could still be in danger. And now, they were being careless. I wanted to be angry, and I was for a second, but then it just slipped away. The numbness returned. Now, if felt anything different, it seemed as though it would be fake.

I was at the door now. I put a hand on it, spreading my fingers evenly. It was coated with blood, and several snapper's were laying at my feet. I closed my eyes, and I took a deep breath. I inhaled for seven seconds, and exhaled for eight. Then, I opened my eyes, and knocked.

No answer. I knocked again, harder this time.

"Someone let me in," I yelled, my voice cracking as I slammed my fist on the door harder. A few seconds later, the door opened. It wasn't Jackal who opened it, though. It was Sienna.

She opened her mouth to say something, but then closed it. Her eyes widened as she looked at me, taking in my current state. I shook my head and pushed the door open further, moving past her in the process. She grabbed onto my arm, pulling me back.

"What happened to you?" She asked, no sympathy in her eyes. I didn't even know why she bothered. She didn't care about my wellbeing.

"Don't touch me," I croaked, my throat raw. When she didn't, I yanked her off and glared at her. "Why wasn't anyone watching the door?"

"Because," Sienna started, looking past me. "It's been dead out there for hours. Pun intended."

"Wow," I scoffed at her, rolling my eyes as I pushed past her once more. But then I stopped. I saw Walter sitting on the ground, bound to one of the leg of the cafeteria table. I looked back at Sienna. "Why wasn't he taken care of?"

"We don't kill the living," Sienna answered, walking away from me now. I grabbed her arm and yanked her back. She gave me a death glare.

"He's infected," I hissed through gritted teeth. "He's already dead."

"Check again," she said, her words thick.

I looked over at him. His eyes were open and he was muttering things. If he had changed, he would be thrashing about, his skin would be decrepit, and his eyes would not be normal. But it didn't make sense. He had been bitten hours ago, he should be more than dead right now. This was impossible.