Archive Log: 03

There was something which David suddenly realised about this place, there wasn't anything personal. It was a house, but not a home. David sat at the piano bench, just staring out at the night beyond the window. He didn't know what to play, so many possibilities, so he sat and just watched the afternoon bleed away into early evening; he had seen the stars come out, bright, shining and silver. The moon had followed shortly after, coming out from behind thin grey clouds, full and bright, casting everything in a silver cold glow. It was strange how darkness made everything look so much different. Colder, and harsher.

Which had caused his mind to think over everything that he had seen so far. That's where the lack of personal items came into it. No photographs, no items of value; personal value, there was plenty of valuable things present, it was odd. A place so large, to be so minimal in furniture and items. Corridors were clear, the rooms were hardly furnished, other than Minerva's room, of course.

David hadn't ventured back there. He got the feeling he offended her, and he presumed Weyland wouldn't wish him to cross paths with her again just yet. He had come out with something which he thought was common knowledge, apparently not. How was David to know that Minerva was unaware to her own existence? And what it was? Shouldn't David have been told beforehand; the dos and don'ts of talking to someone? Sure, he had countless interactions and replies programmed into his head, but even something as big as an unaware synthetic should've been disclosed, no?

There had been empty photograph frames in her room, which meant that at one point in time there would've been pictures within them. Where these pictures were now, David didn't know. What these even were of, he was even less knowledgable of. But a small part of him wanted to know. It was programmed into him, to find knowledge, to find answers. This little puzzle was going around in his mind, and it was bothering him. It was bothering him that he was being kept in the dark about someone who was a floor up from him, no doubt pottering her room, humming away or whatever it was she did. While he was down here, in the dark, literally, watching the stars and moon and clouds drift by not understanding the two people he was sharing this building with.

He was starting to get the measure of Weyland already. Didn't take much. A God complex suffering narcissist was probably the tip of the iceberg. Minerva was a confused shut in, who seemed to like hoarding things. David shook his head, no, that wasn't right. A shut in which got things bought for her to keep her amused. That was more like it. With the amount of things there, it meant she had been inside for a long time. Closing the lid, David shut the keys of the piano away and stood. Weyland had retired to bed, David presumed. He hadn't sought him out after their little moment earlier. David didn't want to find him, he was quite content to be on his own, thinking, and mulling over things. The one thing which his mind kept getting stuck on was the empty frames in Minerva's room. Out of all things!

He returned to the study, peeking around the door in case the man was still present. No, he wasn't here. He had well and truly gone to his own quarters. David ran his hand over the bookcase, admiring all the leather-bound books present. It was rare really, reading, books. Everything was digital, just at the end of someone's fingertips. From the looks of things, some of these were first editions. Super rare, rarer still actually. The amount of money they cost was through the roof anyway, David guessed, even more so now that they've been owned by Peter Weyland.

If someone was to hide something, where would they hide said object? Somewhere obvious. Somewhere close to them. David could already figure out that Weyland spent more time here than anywhere else in the house. David looked about, as if he was going to get caught out, but there was no one present, so he sat down. The large chair was quite comfortable really, he leaned back and looked up at the ceiling, it was getting tinted silver thanks to the moonlight outside from the thin blind across the window.