No Mercy Chapter Two: What is Lost is Not Always Forgotten

Echo by Jason Walker

I don't wanna be down and

I just wanna feel alive and

get to see your face again but 'til then

Just my echo, my shadow

you're my only friend

~~~

Chapter Two: What is Lost is Not Always Forgotten

"She said 'see you around.' I don't think the threat could have been any clearer." Elena stated, annoyed at the indifference being displayed by the two in front of her.

"Relax." Damon stated, walking over so that he was standing right in front of Elena. "As long as you stay near us, you'll be fine." He actually looked amused.

At the same time, Stefan said with irritation clear in his tone, "We don't have time to deal with a new vampire. Operation: Kill Klaus is tomorrow. We have to destroy Klaus while Mikael is still on our side. We can deal with the new threat once our current one is gone."

"Besides," Damon added, a smirk appearing on his face. "We have the advantage. She thought you were Katherine."

"So?" Elena asked, slightly annoyed at not being taken seriously. She wasn't overreacting. If anything, she was under reacting. They didn't need another enemy at the moment, especially considering that they had their hands full with Klaus. She didn't, couldn't, put everyone in harm's way just because some vampire had a vendetta against Katherine. It wasn't right.

"So," the smirk grew," that means she's not on Team Klaus, otherwise she'd have known about the doppelganger."

~~~

"There's a word for what you're being. It's called self-destructive."

Ash rolled her eyes, silently wondering why she even bothered answering her phone. "And there's a word for what you're doing. It's called overreacting." She leaned against the window of her motel room, her eyes drifting outside as she replied.

"Overreacting?" Ash could hear her friend sigh in annoyance over the phone. When Alexa spoke again, she sounded exasperated. "Ashlynn, why the hell are you even in Mystic Falls?"

The brunette smirked and when she answered, her voice was dry. "Oh you know, I figured it's nice this time of year so why not take a little vacation?"

"To the town that you want to burn to the ground?" It was obvious Alexa didn't believe her, a testament to how well she knew her old friend. "Ash, what are you planning?"

Ash's tone changed to one of mock hurt, the smirk on her face growing as she eyed the people passing by the motel. "Why do you always assume I'm up to something? Besides, it already sounds like you've gotten it all figured out anyway."

Alexa's response was almost instantaneous. "Ash, don't make me drag you kicking and screaming out of that town." Alexa's calm, though slightly amused, response didn't conceal the warning in her tone. "You know I hate unwanted attention."

Ash chuckled. "Who are you trying to kid, Al? You love attention."

"True, but not the unwanted kind…which we are sure to garner if I have to forcibly remove you from that backwater town."

Ash arched an eyebrow. "I'm sorry that not all of us grew up living the high life of Paris." She could imagine Alexa rolling her eyes at that.

"A pity, really." The woman remarked, her tone saying it was anything but. "Ash…because you are my friend…I will trust you. Please don't make me regret not making you leave." Alexa wouldn't be able to handle it if she lost Ash so soon after losing Justin. Not that Justin had been around that long, but Alexa got attached quickly…and unfortunately, it was usually to humans who ended up dying within weeks of meeting her.