Chapter 2

"Time to wake up, sleeping beauty!" Dad said cheerfully, tapping on my bedroom door. I rolled over in my bed, and found myself tumbling onto the carpet. I'd never had a bedframe, just a mattress on the floor, so falling out of bed was normal for me.

"I'm up..." I groaned, pulling the blanket over my head. I could already tell that today was going to be a bad day. My head was spinning and my hair felt matted. I knew that I shouldn't have been out drinking the night before, but I was only just of legal drinking age, so it was my go-to...or at least that's what the therapists had said. Honestly, it was just a way to stop feeling things, for me.

I crawled to my dresser and pulled out some black jeans, a flannel shirt and a vest, then proceeded to pull the clothes clumsily onto my body. Once I'd finally managed to clothe myself, I knew it was time to brave the outside world.

I opened my bedroom door and the smell of toaster waffles flooded my nostrils. I was both salivating and gagging at the fragrance, my sweet tooth and hangover fighting each other like rabid dogs. I regained my balance and stumbled into the bathroom, washed my face, brushed my matted hair into a high ponytail, then slapped on the absolute minimum amount of makeup I could get away with – which still took me ten minutes to apply.

When I was satisfied that I looked a little more alive, I cracked open the bathroom door and crept down the stairs with my phone in hand. I found my dad in the kitchen, slugging back a cup of coffee like it was the nectar of the gods.

"You want some coffee with your coffee?" I asked, leaning up against the doorframe. He sheepishly smiled and put down the mug on the counter.

"Ready to go?" He asked, gathering up his keys and wallet.

I nodded. "Ready as I'll ever be."

I shrugged on my leather jacket and stuffed the enrolment paperwork into my back pocket. Dad and I clambered up into his flatbed truck and headed down the road. From what I could gather, the school was only about a 30-minute walk, so driving took five minutes at most. Dad pulled into an empty parking space and turned to me. There was a moment of empty silence between us.

"Persephone," He began, his brow furrowing. "Are you sure you're ready to go back to school? We can wait another year-"

"I'll never be ready." I said bluntly. "I have to do this. I promised Mum..."

He frowned. "She'd be proud of you, Sephy."

I nodded. "Let's go."

We climbed out of the truck and walked side-by-side into the front office. We were greeted by a kind-looking woman with ashy-blonde hair.

"Good morning! Are you here to enrol?" She chirped, beaming from behind the desk.

"Yes, my daughter. Persephone Allaway?"

The woman – whose tag said her name was Ms. Mendell – checked a list attached to a clipboard.

"Ah, here we go. You'll need to go to Tennyson building, for sixth form enrolment. After that, you'll be directed to a guide who will give you a tour of the facilities." She smiled at me. "We're always happy to see new faces. Welcome to the school!"

We thanked her and followed the signs to our building. I paused a moment before opening the double doors marked 'Sixth Form Enrolment'. I was greeted by the deafening roar of indistinct chatter. The room was bustling with other people my age, milling about between desks manned with admin staff.

"Which one do we go to?" I asked, but my voice was lost in the crowd. Luckily, Dad seemed to know where to go. He put his arm around my shoulders and guided me towards the table marked 'A-D', knocking into a blonde girl dressed in light clothes. I ducked my head, muttering a quick apology, and hurried forward before she could make any response.