III. The Letter 'Z'

Margery drove her Chevy back to White Field all alone. It's almost seventeen kilo meters from Saint Field. The air there stinks with human blood and robberies. White Field is a fertilized land for notorious beasts. But, she lived far from the city in a small house surrounded with lawyers and ex-military. Her husband, Eric's father, Gregory Mathews was in the army. He died of a heart disease when Eric was nineteen years old.

The chicken pox began to heal after doctor Andrea consulted him again. He'll soon be able to play marbles with Mike and Jenny. Catherine read stories of pirates and sea monsters to Ben at evening. He likes the way she narrates them. He never knew his birth mom but he didn't want to call her his mommy. She was really upset and worried at the beginning about it. But then, she realized he likes her as a step-mom.

Eric went through the pages, evidences and witness reports. His head was heavy thinking through almost every point of possibilities who the suspect would be. Another homicide will clearly depict a way to understand who might really be. Catherine brought coffee and kept in on the table.

'You should see Ridha. Ask some usual questions and lead to the incident slowly. See if she had seen something strange' Eric wasn't thinking at all.

'She didn't see anything. If she did, she would've already told her mom about that' Catherine rose furious.

'Do you recall anything suspicious when you went to the store last time?'

'I don't think Rick had a part. If that man went to their store and fired a shot, he might only be a normal burglar. But, he shot a little kid just after that. That means he is not. You must find William, his brother'

'I know him. He used to sell marijuana to the boys behind the store. He was caught once. He hadn't sold anything yet, or that's what I remember'

Catherine's phone started ringing. It was anonymous number. 'Hello'

'Hey, is this Gregory house?' A manly voice with a fake deep sound.

'Yes, who is this?'

'My name is George. I would like to speak with Mr. Gregory'

'Honey' holding the mic covered 'it's for you'

'Hello, who is this?' Eric took the phone.

'House no.85, 42nd street, I have a surprise for ya'

'Who are you' Eric said in a firm tone and turned the speaker on.

'My name is George as I said to your darling. Now, come to the 42nd street, house no. 85 and look for the surprise' The call ended.

They both stared at each other shocked. 'Is it a threat?' Catherine asked.

'I've got to find out. You stay here shut the doors lock and there's a gun in the drawer just in case' Eric took his badge and put on the uniform.

'Wait where are you going? Don't go there. It'd be a trap. Please honey' She was all worried. If he is the killer, then Eric would end up in there.

'No, I'm heading to the office. I'll trace this number and find out the guy' Eric rushed out. Catherine locked the doors and took the gun from the drawer. She went straight to Ben and sat next to him on the bed. He was asleep.

'Sir, it's a student. Name, Mark Winston, 23. He's a student in Father Jeremy, F J University' Phil told Eric.

'It's where Farra takes classes'

'You two, with me. Let's find out what he got' both Phil and John went with him.

'Hey, John. What do you think he's got over there?' Eric asked the officer driving.

'I can't think a way how did he get your wife's number. And also, he could not be the killer. He has no past records. Or, if it's the situation, then he might be with the killer'

'Yeah. That's what I was thinking' Phil said.

'You boys ready to invade? This could be it' Eric concluded.

They were in total silent until they arrived at 42nd.

'Keep it low, turn the lights off' Said Erik.

They rolled down slowly to 84 and stopped there. Got out of the vehicle moved swiftly towards 85th door step. Phil stepped near the window and leaned slightly. The music was playing and the fireplace was on. He turned to the other side and saw a shoe laying on the floor. Suddenly a leg appeared near the shoe. The man was laying down there too. He was trying to get up. Phil can't clear see the rest of the leg but that man fell down as he tried. Phil signalled Eric to go inside. With a kick on the door knob, the door cracked wide opened. John went straight to the music player and turned it off.

'Clear' Phil called out.

Eric was shocked at seeing Mark laying on his blood. He was shot on his chest, four times. He breathed hardly. But the heart was still beating. It slowed down and Mark exhaled his final breath.

The reports said he is probably shot just before the call. He is from a wealthy family. His father, Winston, was an entrepreneur and his mother, Martha, is a psychologist. Eric looked into his mother's profile. She was his wife's childhood friend. Martha Angel. She was married to Liam before.

'Phil, look for a Liam Ruth' Eric said.

Martha was crying covering her head on Winston's shoulder. Eric felt deeply sorry for them. He went through the evidences. He was trying to find a 'Z' somewhere in the pictures. Just while he turned the murder scene photos, he looked carefully at the shot wounds at Mark. He was shot four times. They could be drawn from shot to shot into a 'Z'. 'Oh, God. This is not happening. He definitely is a serial killer' Eric inhaled heavily. Scratched his forehead violently. It can't be Liam either.

*******