Chapter Two- Baby, did you forget to take your med's?

Chapter two- Baby, did you forget to take your meds?

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

-Albert Einstein.

You know I wasn't always like this, so aggressive and brutal. This is what they made me. If what they say is true and I am insane, well they have no one to blame but themselves.

I awoke some time later, when the drugs had worn off and I could no longer stay in that blissfully blurred around the edges state, like everything else in life even the drugs had begun to disappoint me.

Lifting my head, which suddenly felt full of concrete, I took in my surroundings. Familiar. Was my first thought and was quickly followed by the word 'bare'. Apart from the cramped single bed I lay upon there was nothing more in the room then an old wooden desk and a chipped bed side table. I hadn't been expecting anything of luxury, but this was beyond the bare minimum. 

The sound of leather screeching across the floor told me I would soon have a visitor. I knew they wouldn't leave me alone for long.

Just as I had expected the door swung open two seconds later, no knock for a warning or even a hello in greeting, no, not in a place like this. 

The large woman, who I assumed was a nurse, looked around the room for a moment before her beady little eyes landed on me. 

"Ah Miss Owens I see you have finally joined the living again."

Is that what she thought? This place housed the living? I think not. The Madison Owens Home housed women who were caught somewhere between life and death, half asleep and half awake, prisoners to their own minds and the drug were the wardens who kept them there.

However, it wasn't this statement that bothered me, more so the name she had called me. Miss Owens. 

"That's not my name."

I whispered, my voice husky from both the drugs and the sleeping. Confused, the woman held up the chart in her hand and double checked it.

"That's the name written here Miss Owens. Yes, first name Addison am I correct?"

Her voice was sweet but not so much that I couldn't hear the impatients in her tone. Obviously she dealt with patients like me all the time, people who changed their names as often as their clothes.

"Yes, my name is Addison but my last name is no longer Owens. If you insist on calling me something you can call me by my Mothers maiden name, Carter."

The bored looking nurse nodded her mass of brown curls quickly at my aggravated tone. Being the daughter of wealthy business man Jack Owens had thought me how to talk to difficult people like her. Firm, with no room for misunderstanding my father had said, make sure they know you mean it and no matter how much I hated him I had always taken this advice with me. For nineteen years he was my Father and bad habits can die hard. 

Sighing deeply I pushed my sore body off the lumpy mattress, obviously my Fathers hold had been stronger then I had first thought and most likely felt me with dozens of  little bruises, his final parting gift to me. How touching.

"Okay now Miss Carter, Doctor Long is waiting for you."

Her voice was much more appealing now, like she was afraid. This was a woman who dealt with insane and sometimes dangerous patients all day, what did her fear say about me. Was I worse then all the others.

"Doctor Long?"

I repeated, all the color quickly draining from my face. Not her. Anyone but her.