5. When I See You (2/3)

Issa POV

I'm supposed to be extremely mad at Zonnique according to Mimi's story, but I'm not even sure if I believe it. I mean, Nique and I haven't even reached that level to where she would even be mad at Mimi for anything. She wasn't my girlfriend and we weren't talking. It was just heavy flirtation, but I messed that up. I should've just stopped messing with Mimi a long time ago, when everyone warned me about her.

I walked down the hall and the door to Principal Tejada's office swung open. Zonnique bursted out of the room in tears. She looked so hurt. She glanced over at me, shook her head, and ran for the exit. I chased after her in curiosity. I hope she's not mad at me. I didn't even play a role in this.

     "Nique!!! Zonnique!! Stop!" I yelled across the parking lot. She began to slow down, then she fell to her knees. Her books and things were scattered all over, but I don't think she cared. I could hear her sobs all the way from where I stood. I ran over to her and got down to her level. "Zonnique, what happened?" She rolled her eyes and tried to speak through her sobs. "Mimi, she lied on me. I got suspended for 10 days. I didn't even do anything!!" I groaned and shook my head. Ten days for something she didn't do? This is wrong. "Look, I'm gonna go in there and speak with Ms. Tejada and--" "No, Issa. This happened because of you. I should've never gotten acquainted with you. None of this would've happened..."

     I lowered my head a little. "It's sad you feel that way. I mean, I like to think that is getting...'acquainted' made my life a bit easier." She sighed and laid her head on my shoulder. "I'm sorry. I don't mean that, but this did happen because she thought you and I had a thing. What will Ms. Tejada think if you go in there trying to defend me?" "Well, I'm not sure what she'll make of it, but I know I'll go in there looking like someone trying to put an end to Mimi's shenanigans. You don't deserve this, and we both know that. I will go to bat for you every damn day of the week. I really like you, Zonnique. And I will do any and everything in my power to make sure you don't have to go through this anymore." She looked up at me with a small smile on her face. She placed a small kiss on my lips and smiled once again. "I really like you, too. I just needed a reason to do something about it." I smiled and hugged her. I could stay like this forever.