March

Walking down the cracked and worn sidewalk, I grasped Asa's hand in my own. We'd been chatting absent mindedly as I laid my head on his sturdy shoulder. 

   "Asa!" I heard a girl's voice call from behind us. We both turned to see a girl our age with chocolate brown hair and big grey eyes approach us. As she walked up to us she introduced herself as Cassie to me and informed me that she was a childhood friend of Asa's.

   "Wow, I haven't seen you in ages, I wasn't sure it was you but I'd already yelled your name," she said, laughing. Asa laughed in reply, smiling.

   "Hey, do you remember Mrs. Elain?" Asa asked, tilting his head. 

   Cassie nodded her head vigorously, "Yea, yea, oh my god, she was the worst!"

   They both continued, laughing about story after story and found yourself smiling along with them as if you had been there too. You couldn't help but feel a small tinge of jealousy that this girl had known Asa since the beginning -- but you knew it was alright because you knew him now and that was what mattered. 

   After a few minutes, she realized that she had some where to be and ran off, yelling back, "Sorry! I'm late to a friend's!"

   Asa turned back to you after she faded off in the distance and smiled at you, resting his forehead against yours, grasping your hands in his. You stayed like this for a while, relishing in the small burst of peace, you just wished it could stay like this foreve--... you heard a snicker, and turned to see those same girls from the coffee shop.

   Ugh. 

   Asa and you glared at them as they passed and one of them flicked you off -- another sending Asa a flirtatious glance.

    After they passed, you sighed and looked over to Asa. You where taken aback when you realized he had a pained grimace on his face.  

   "Hey, babe, what's wrong? You alright? Those girls are only after me, you're fine if that's what it is.." you said, stroking his face.

   He looked up to your eyes, the grimace softening, "I know" he whispered, "but that's the point. Because of me, they're hurting you."

   Your eyes widened, "Oh, they're not hurting me, they're just envious, Asa." you smiled, "it's a reminder that I'm lucky to have you" 

   Asa smiled at the last comment and pulled you into a hug, your arms wrapping around his shoulders in return. 

   You could tell that you and Asa would be together for a long time, that your love was true and so was his. You knew that you would never take him for granted, and he wouldn't make the same mistake either. 

   The hug lingered as you had this thought.

   "I love you"

   "I love you too"