Abandoned valley of the dead

• Dedicated to Yang-Fan Zhou

 It was night-time. In the sweaty heat of the lonely mountain air a queer man with harsh muscles was walking. He was walking half-naked with tattoos covering his entire body with a strange blue glow. On his back he carried what appeared to be a scroll. He reached inside the scroll and carefully extracted a shovel. The scroll obciously acted as a kind of bag. The strangest thing about him however, was not his bald head or the tattos around his body but rather, there was something that seemed quite inhuman in his eyes. His eyes seemed human but when you looked into them, you could see pain and responsibility, death, power and struggles in them.

He approached a small village walking slowly, without breaking his walking rhythm. He was definetely up to something. As he approached the village gates, the haunting laughter of the dead seemed to fill his head. He walked on seemingly undisturbed. With a short grunting noise, he managed to tear the padlocks apart. As he pushed open the gate, it creaked eerily in the gloom of the night. He glanced around cautiously, unaware that he was being watched through the window.

He approached the graveyard and started digging with his shovel. There was a loud squawk by the window and he suddenly looked up, into the face of a gigantic griffin. He was alarmed but then after two seconds his face seemingly calmed and he laughed.

"So, it seems like someone doesn't want me here! Why else would you send a griffin! But it's no use."

The Griffin stretched its wings out and it's beak dived straight towards the strange man. He jumped backwards into the strange grass that grew there. From within his scroll he pulled out a book. Suddenly his tattoos glowed and he let the book drop. Then, he plunged his hand down above the book. Even though there was no wind the book flew open and the pages started flipping past. From the book itself there appeared to be a bright ball of purple light. It was an evil thing.

All this time the Griffin had been stopped by a protective forcefield but it finally broke through. There was a loug hissing noice as the force-field evaporated into the air and then the strange man lifted his hands and the ball came up. The Griffin began to charge at him and he thrust the ball at a 45 degree angle making it go up above the Griffins head. But the Griffin had predicted that the ball would come straight towards him and it rose in flight about to come swooping down on to the head of the man.

The ball struck the griffin fairly on the chest and it stopped mid-flight and crashed to the ground where it crumpled into a heap. It's chest still heaving up and down. It was still alive. The strange man suddenly turned abruptly and sent a spasm of light towards a man quietly sneaking towards him. The man jumped to his left but the light followed him and he pulled out a yo-yo and struck at the light with his own magic. The magic balls seemed to cancel each other out and he stood up dusting himself down.

"Etaf?"The strange man said,"What are you doing here? And how come you managed to convince a demon into helping you? You hate each other!"

"Wha-how do you know my name? You must be stopped. The item which you seek could end the world," Etaf replied

"It could, but it could also save the world from the upcoming disasters, surely it is worth the gamble?"The strange man answered,"This could save millions of lives!"

"But it could damm billions of others,"Etaf cried,"How can you do this?"

"If i can save one life but risk everyone elses in the process i will still do it. If i can sacrifice myself so that everyone else lives i will also do it, you have to understand. I do not intend for any more suffering to happen."

"I can stop you right here right now, I have in my bag here, an explosive big enough to kill both of us and demolish the town and the summoning script. It will even break through forcefields!" Etaf bellowed "I cannot allow you to release an alien portal in our world. It may bring even more demons and why should you be able to control it? After all even if your theory is correct and all the demons are sucked into this portal to another world, will we not be damming the inhabitants of the other world?"

"I will try and move the portal and I'll call your bluff about the explosive, I don't believe you'd do it after all you'd hurt your own griffin!"

There was a pause and then the sky filled with diamond blood.