Magic - Fifth Challenge

Picture 2

How Lucky I Am

Nerissa’s purple-blue fin sliced through the dark water as she made her way to meet Seidon. She hummed the tune of a song that she had heard the humans playing. The lyrics ran through her mind as she thought of Seidon. Despite this cruel world, and all my best efforts, you remind me of just how perfect you are. This reminded Nerissa of how they met and finally how Seidon had accepted her. It was if it had taken place just moments ago.

It had been like any other day. Nerissa again had had another dispute with her father over something so small. “But why can’t I go with the hunting group?” Her sing-song voice whined. “I’ve been practicing for over a year now.” The spear in her hand glistened in the moonlight which persisted to pierce through the ocean’s surface.

The dull glow illuminated her father’s fierce face. “I said no Nerissa.” His deep voice said, over the years he had become immune to his daughter’s whining and her back up plan, which just so happened to be a manipulation of the face to make her look cute and vulnerable. He never understood how children could do that and found it to be some sort of black magic. “Now, you better be here when I arrive from today’s hunt.”

Nerissa huffed in response, with her arms folded and bottom lip pushed out. Her father came up to her and kissed the top of her obsidian hair. “It’s only because I love you. The world can be cruel you know?” As he turned to leave their cave, he turned back to his daughter who remained in her stubborn stature. “I’ll be back soon.”

Nerissa remained silent until she was sure that her father had gone. She sighed at the over protectiveness that came with her father. Nerissa herself knew that she was old enough to go and hunt along with the others and the world wasn’t as scary as he made it out to be. It was all just made up to scare her and she was going to prove that to her father.

She picked up her flax basket and carefully tied it around her waist. She then carefully picked up her prized possession, her spear. Her own was fashioned out of a common rock and didn’t hold any value as compared to her father’s, which she understood was a composition of several rare rocks and even bone. However the spear was one of the greatest things that she had been given and felt that she had been quite good with the weapon. She had never practiced on a moving object before, how hard can it be? She thought. With that lasting reasoning she left the cave.

In reality, Nerissa had never set a foot outside the cave on her own before. She had always been accompanied by someone when she did, though there were not many reasons as to why she had to leave and so going out into the open expanse of water was not common.

Nerissa took the route which she was comfortable with and vaguely knew. Since the hunting group had gone, the paths were mostly empty and she often hid from anyone that she was in the view of. Nerissa was scared that someone might see her and tell her father, which she didn’t particular wanted to happen.

After a while, she managed to get to a clearing which she knew was home to many creatures that the mermaids ate. In about a meter away, she could see a small moving fish which made a good target. As she sped towards it with her spear poised high, a small spear sped through the water and drove into the fish, going right through the animal. Nerissa stopped in her tracks and saw the other mermaid going towards the fish to pick it up, along with their spear.

Anger arose in Nerissa and she made her way to the mermaid. “Hey!” She spat. The mermaid turned around and found she was horribly mistaken. It was not a mermaid at all, it was a merman and it was him. Her mouth hung open in silence, though a few croaks managed to come through.