Till There Was You

Before there was a dare, there was a song...

Maude looked at the piece of music in front of her and then across at the man sitting at the piano. “What the hell Jaime? You seriously want me to sing this?”

“You said you wanted to get involved in the community theatre. This is the way to do it. I'm telling you Maudie, you've got no competition if you nail this song. Clementine O'Rourke is going to swoon.”

The piano player took a moment to push a pair of wire rimmed glasses up the bridge of his nose. “You know what would really sell it?”

She leaned against the piano and gave a flip of blonde corkscrew curls over her shoulder. “I might be afraid to ask.”

“A parasol. I bet I can find a pretty pink parasol in the costume loft.” He gave a chuckle deep in his chest. “That would make Clementine more than swoon.”

“Only you can get away with using a word like swoon. I think you've been doing way too much Shakespeare.” She put her hand on a stuck out hip that only accentuated her curves. “Do I look like a pink parasol kind of girl? Seriously?”

Jaime looked her up and down with a tilt of his head and a pursing of his lips. “No, not pink. How about green? It would compliment your hair.”

“Why don't you find me one of those shepherdess dresses with the square neckline that shows off my assets.” She gave her perky breasts a jiggle.

“That's a great idea!”

Maude wished for something heavier than the music in her hands to throw at him. “So tell me again why this song? I mean I like love as much as the next girl but these lyrics are a bit over the top don't you think?”

“Just trust me.”

“Yeah, remember what happened last time you said that to me.”

“At least it was only one of those temporary tattoos.”

The Sorenson Community Theatre auditorium was dark, even with the stage lights on full. Maude glanced around at the seated figures scattered in the seats. She stood in the aisle a moment until her eyes adjusted and she could see Jaime seated in the front row. There was a tall, dark haired man sitting on one side and a red head woman on the other. She took a deep breath.

Jaime turned just as she was at the end of the row. He stood. “Maudie, you made it. I was getting worried.”

She gave him a saccharine smile. “Aren't you going to introduce your friends?”

The woman stood and stuck out a hand. “Clementine. Jaime has been telling us all about you. He says you were quite the star in college. I can't wait to hear what you've got prepared for us today. Though we're just a small community theatre. Nothing fancy I'm afraid.”

Maude liked Clementine's firm handshake. She gave a shake of her head, today's ponytail heavy with curls barely making a move. “I think you'll find that Jaime exaggerates often. He's quite the embellisher. I'm just looking to have some fun with fellow actors, that's all.”

“And speaking of fellow actors.” Jaime gave Maude a tug towards where the other figure hadn't moved.

He was about Maude's age and sprawled comfortably across the seat. He had a relaxed manner but also one of ownership. He had dark brooding looks that would have put any actor doing Hamlet to shame.

“This is Jack.”

Yes it is, she thought with the intake of her breath.

“So, you're here to try out for Marian the Librarian.” It was a statement not a question.

“Again, here for the fun. I'm happy to paint sets or move furniture.”

He eyed her up and down. She was glad she wore her favorite pair of hip-hugger jeans and a red scoop necked T-shirt. There was nothing demur about this Marian. He stood in a fluid motion and she got the chance to admire the way black jeans encased his long legs. The brooding Hamlet look was topped by a tight black T-shirt.

“Let's see what you've got Miss Maude. You don't mind if we go first, do you Clem?” He headed towards a pair of stairs that led to the stage. “Consider this a warm up if you have to.”

All Maude could do was notice how the jeans accentuated a very firm back side. She glanced over to see Jamie watching her with a smirk on his face. She gave him a face right back, short of sticking out her tongue.

Clementine gave a shrug as if this sort of thing happened all the time and walked to the piano. “What're you singing Maude?”

“Let me guess,” Jack narrowed his eyes at her and gave her a grin that brought out a dimple on the left cheek. “Goodnight My Someone. Am I right? Typical audition song for Music Man.”

Maude exchanged a conspiratorial look with Jaime before walking up the stairs to face off against Jack. “You'll find that I am anything but typical.”

He raised a brow. “So, what is the lady's pleasure?”

She gave a nod towards Jaime who went to the director to confer about the music. She noticed that Clementine gave her a look of approval before hitting the first chord.

“There were bells on a hill but I never heard them ringing. No, I never heard them at all till there was you.”

They really were cheesy lyrics, Maude thought. But, it was one of those over the top musicals. She took a step towards Jack, making eye contact as she continued her song. “There were birds in the sky but I never say them winging. No, I never heard the all all till there was you.”

A delicious thrill went through her and she could feel her pulse racing to keep up with her heart beat when he joined in. He had a wonderful baritone voice that complimented her soprano. It felt like the scene from an old black and white as they continued to get closer to each other as the melody reached a crescendo. By the time they got to the last verse they were nose to nose and Maude knew she didn't care if she got the part at all.

“There was love all around but I never heard it singing. No, I never heard it all till there was you.”

**Words to the song by Meredith Wilson