TWØ

Josh had just unpacked his last box. He'd been in his room for hours upon hours getting it ready, and every now and again he would quickly look out the window at his next door neighbor's house, knowing for sure someone was looking at him. That was never the case, though.

  He threw the box out of his room and closed the door, slamming himself down on the mattress in exhaustion.

  "Josh, dinner is here." He heard from down the hall. He had just closed his red, droopy eyes too.

  "M'not hungry, Ma." He yelled.

  "Sure you are, we got Taco Bell. You haven't come out of your room since last night." She complained, and Josh could only imagine her face of frustration, well, because she never had one.

  But Josh couldn't turn down Taco Bell of course, so he made his way to the empty kitchen.

  He dug through the box and pulled out every individual taco.

  "Where's my chalupa?" He scattered the food across the counter.

  "Money is tight, Joshua." His father said as he ate his bean burrito.

  "Gotcha." He said, obviously disappointed. He grabbed a soft and hard taco and ate in silence.

  "Josh we put the table up, why don't you come sit?" His mother smiled.

  "I'm about to be done, I need to go back and organize." He lied, but he's gotta use up his energy somehow.

  "Ok , and try and stop with the fingers and the counter, it's going to be an issue for your classmates I believe." She said, addressing his habit of tapping his fingers... on everything.

  "Oh, he can't help it, Laura. Give him a break." His father tried to whisper, but failed because of the burrito on the roof of his mouth.

  "That's gross, dear."

  "You're gross." He smiled and grabbed her hand.

  "I'm leaving, thank you and goodnight." Josh said quickly, not wanting to be in this situation.

  "Ok, honey. School starts tomorrow so just be ready."

Great. School.

  He made his way down the hall and befriended his mattress again, curling up and closing his eyes.

'You're not gonna fit in.'
'What makes you think that you'll make friends?'

  There are more, way more. He pushes some away, but of course, they come back.

  He felt a soft breeze on his back and curled up in his covers more, but it started hitting him harder. He flung the covers off in frustration and walked over to his window to close it, but he heard a peaceful, soft strum of a stringed instrument. Josh knew it was used for Hawaiian songs, but he couldn't figure out the name. It sounded like nothing he had ever heard before. He listened more and also heard a soft voice.

  "And we'll make money selling your hair. I don't care what's in your hair I just wanna know what's on your mind."

  It was so beautiful. The soft tune made Josh curious, he had never heard of that song before. He looked closer and saw a tiny boy in the window. No, not a young child, a small figured teen. Joshua looked and listened in amazement. He didn't know if he should stop and close the window so he didn't look like a creep, or if he wanted to keep listening.

  "I need to know that when I fail you'll still be here. Cause if you stick around, I'll sing you pretty sounds and we'll make money selling your hair."

  Every so often he would stop and write down lyrics. He put his pencil down and looked up, confused. He turned his head to Josh's window.

Panic.

  He quickly ducked and brought his newly nailed in curtain rod with him.

  In pain, he sat up so he's still underneath the window. He hears a small amount of laughter, and it slowly picks up to almost cackling. Josh peeks his head up and sees the mystery boy's head thrown back.

"I'm sorry, but I'm also not sorry." He continued laughing, Joshua blushed.

"No, I'm actually really sorry." He tried whispering so his parents wouldn't hear him.

  "I actually cannot hear you. Can you walk down, we can talk and maybe I can get a name?"

  Joshua looked at him, he thought about going downstairs, but he wasn't about to go outside to meet a complete stranger at such a late hour.

  He simply shook his head and closed his window. He walked over to his bed and laid down, slowly letting sleep take over.

******************

Well. Its been over a year :). How are y'all doing? No. Don't leave yet. I'll update more i promiseee

~Lauryn