Prologue

"We'll be together forever, right?"

My heart hammered in my chest as I looked over at Weston. At 15, he was already so handsome. Chiseled jaw, lean and defined muscles. Even though we were only sophomores, all the girls in school were enamored with him—especially when he let that knowing smile loose. And he was all mine.

"Ava Grace, why would you ask such a question?" He let my hand go to sweep some loose curls behind my ears. We were currently sitting on top of a boulder at the local dam, our feet dangling over the inky black abbess below.

My throat clogged. The tears threatened to take over. I never imagined at 15 I would be so head over heels in love with the guy of my dreams. Weston Hayes and I had known each other our whole lives. We knew all the bad parts of each other's lives. Eventually, our friendship turned to more at the end of 8th grade when Weston finally asked me out. At two years strong, I was the envy of every teenage girl in school.

Noticing the glossiness to my eyes, Weston took me into his arms. I automatically curled into him, he was my safe space. I clutched onto his shirt with all my might as though he actually might slip away. He stroked my hair while whispering sweet nothings into my hair.

"Tell me, sweetheart. Don't cry. I can't handle it. Just tell me."

My parents never wanted children but that didn't stop them from still conceiving. My own parents often referred to me as 'The Mistake'. Even their friends would call me that when they came over. I was raised and cared for by a barrage of nannies and housekeepers. When I finally got to a point that I could watch myself, my parents fired the only people that unconditionally loved me. Weston was the only other person in my life who loved me. And again, they were taking that love away from me. I refused to let them.

In a choked sob, I was able to get out, "my parents." Weston automatically stiffened. He knew every detail and secret of the Michaelson household. He was my savior, rescuing me from them. "They don't want me anymore. They've had enough. They're sending me off to my grandfather's." The sobs I had controlled let loose again as I thought about being ripped away from Weston.

He held onto me tighter as though claiming he refused to let them take me. But at 15, what could we do?

"We'll always be together Ava Grace. Always. No distance can change that." He said it with such conviction and with such finality, I believed him. I always believed him.

But Weston would just go on to be my first love. He would fade into my memories and bitterness and anger would surround them. Weston would prove that there was no such thing as forever and first love was not meant to last. My life continued to prove that there was no such thing as lasting love, and, if you began to love, it would be taken away. Everything good in my life was always taken away. For that, it was better to harden myself. To not let anyone in. And, most importantly, not believe in love.

The hardened, cold Ava started college never expecting to see Weston again. But, yet, in life's cruel twisted way there he was. In all his glorious muscles and panty dropping smile, there was Weston to remind me again that first loved never lasted.