Chapter 8

Chapter 8: 

A chill swept over my body, blanketing me with Goosebumps. Cracking open an eye, the sight before me brings a smile upon my face.

The sky above me was pitch black, swirls of dark blue slowly retreating in the horizon. 

Stars glittered across the sky above me. The sky was absolutely beautiful, it reminded me of my birthday just last year. 

Flashback

Pills and blades littered the floor of the tree house. Tears were streaming down my face. It was my birthday today and everybody forgot, well except for one person, Emma.

She called me at midnight this morning and greeted me happy birthday. It was great until she told me that she was going to be gone today. 

It was fine at first, I was just going to celebrate with my mom and dad then. They promised me that they would be there for my birthday, but as I woke up later to an empty house, I knew they had forgotten.

It was just another promise broken. 

Sighing I spent most of the day eating junk food and watching movies. It wasn't until 7 pm when I decided to leave the house and celebrate my own birthday with a trip to the local bakery. 

I might as well get myself a birthday cupcake because I know that nobody else would.

I was on my way there, enjoying the nice cool night around me when I stumbled upon a group of teenagers.

I thought it was nothing so I just quickly walked around them, avoiding all speech and I contact. 

I thought I was safe until one of them grabbed my arm and pulled me toward them. I looked up fearfully, and Terror coursed through me as my eyes met Candy's. I'm dead meat.

"What are you doing you ugly rat? Going around town looking for some fatty foods? God you're such a fat ass why are you even alive? Why don't you just do a favor and kill yourself already!?" Candy shrieks at me while her friends laugh behind her.

Candy then pushed me into her crowd of friends. They laughed and pushed me about, hand grabbing and pushing me around.

As I was being pushed to another person, my legs got tangled and I was soon falling to the floor.

Trying to save myself from falling, my hands and knees scraped against the gravel beneath me. The group didn't waste a second because only a moment later, kicks were sent to my stomach. 

A groan escaped my lips as pain shot through my body. Kicks were now being sent everywhere. The last thing I was able to see was a foot coming straight toward my face.

When I finally woke up, two hours have passed. Pain radiated throughout my body, and patches of dried blood were all over my body.

Taking in my surroundings, I was still at the street where the group beat me up. Not surprising.

Painfully, I found a way to get up and begin to walk. Tears streamed down my face as I walked aimlessly around. 

I hadn't even realized that I was home until I tripped on the curb. Pulling myself together just for a moment, I grabbed some pills and razors.

I was going to kill myself, I had finally decided. 

Candy's group was right, I would be doing everyone a favor.

That’s how I got there, sitting alone in the treehouse, staring at my two options. Pills will slowly shut my body down till finally everything disappears from me. The razors will let me experience pain as I slowly bleed out, the world slowly blurring away from me. 

It was a hard choice, but I finally decided to do both. If one didn't kill me, the second option would. 

A handful of pills rested in my hands and a razor was balanced on the other. 

I was just about to force the pills down my throat when a voice stopped me. It was fragile and broken, cracking and you could tell the person was crying. 

"Lila please, don't." The broken voice spoke. 

I gulped and turned my head to see who this person was, and the sight that I saw broke my heart.

Emma was standing behind me, tears streaming down her face. She has a present in her hands and she was all muddy.

"Emma what are you doing here? You weren't supposed to come back till tomorrow!" I exclaimed, dropping the pills and the razor to the floor.

"Did you really think that I would miss your birthday? I made my parents drive me back here. Now what the hell are you doing?!" Emma exclaimed, coming to my side and hugging me. 

I explained to her what happened all day and she soothed me with reassuring words and comments. 

"Ignore them Lila, everything will get better. You have a family you need to think of, it may not be your own but you have my family and I. If you hurt yourself you hurt us. We love you Lila, keep that in mind." Emma told me.

We were now laying down on the floor of the treehouse, the pills and razors pushed aside. 

"Promise me Lila, promise that you won't kill yourself." Emma says, sorrow and concern laced into her voice. 

Not wanting to hurt Emma, I just nod my head in response. 

It was then that we stared up at the stars above us. They were absolutely beautiful, and the sky was a mix of blues. 

That night Emma saved me once again, she saved me from myself. That night I promised her I wouldn't kill myself, and lately that promise has been on the verge being broken.

Sighing, I get up from my position and I make my way home, but when I reach the house, I was left startled.

Men in police uniforms stood on the doorstep, ringing the door nonstop. I guess I made a noise because one of the police men turned around and saw me sanding there.

"Are you Lila Carlton?" He asks.

I nod my head, to confused and scared to ponder up anything to say.

"I'm sorry to say this Lila, but your parents, they were in a car crash. They died just an hour ago." The police man stated.

At that moment another car rolled up my driveway. It was Ryder and Amy's car.

Now to top it all off, I could feel a panic attack coming on. Great.