Chapter 3

Chapter 3

I sat down quickly and took out my things. Just then Mr Reed came in and we started the lesson. I sighed as I tried to control the pace of my heart. Suddenly I realised that I was going to spend two hours in Jess's company, I was going to be a sort of private teacher. How was I going to do that? I could barely speak correctly in his presence, let alone focus on philosophy. He was so handsome. Today I had looked at him better. His eyes were as blue as the ocean, long lashed and deeply set. His face was perfectly chiseled, his forehead wide and intelligent not to talk about that cute dimple that formed when he smiled. Ah... I sighed without even knowing, daydreaming and wishing to be in his arms right now instead of listening to Mr Reed's boring voice.

"Ms Reynolds!"

His harsh voice made me jump. I gazed up to find him standing just in front of me. His expression was even angrier than usual.

"Yes?" I said.

"Can you continue to read, please?" He said impatiently as he shifted his gaze from my face to my book, who laid closed on the table.

"Ah.. yeah." I said as I quickly opened the book. My God, what was he reading? Usually I was so attentive. Mr Reed kept glaring at me.

"Gabby, you weren't paying attention. How come?" He rasped.

"Ahm."

Just then I saw Jess looking at me from behind Mr Reed, showing me a paper on which he had written page 28.

"I was." I blurted. "We're on page 28 and we were talking about Socrates." I said, trying to remember something of what he had been saying. Mr Reed's gaze chewed his lip, as if he was deciding what to do next. Then he tapped his pen nervously on my desk and walked away.

"Fine, then read." He ordered as he returned to his desk. I blew out with relief and looked at Jess. He had saved me. I saw him smiling at me and then wink. I smiled back and began to read. When the lesson finished. I went near him.

"Jess," I said timidly. He was talking with Chris. He stopped and turned his eyes on me.

"Yes?"

"Thank you." I just said before grabbing my bag and rushing out of the classroom. My God, my heart was going to come out. He had just looked at me and I had felt lost. When was I going to grow up? When was I going to stop behaving like this in front of men? I always did the wrong moves, I must have looked clumsy and insecure. Probably his friends had laughed at me. I had to stop it. I had to care less about what his friends thought about me, and I had to concentrate just on my lessons. This morning I had taken a decision to make a wonderful career, at least that. I would never lose weight, nor change the way I looked, but I could be the best at something. I had to stop wasting my time daydreaming about things that would never become true.

I was going for my next lesson when near the lockers I caught a glimpse of his blonde hair. I sighed as I remembered that in a few hours' time I was going to pass some time with him. Just then I saw Lara coming, swaying her hips sexily as she walked towards him. She stopped and called him. He closed the locker and looked at her.

"Hey!" I heard him saying as his arm went around her waist. She put her hands in his hair, combing it, caressing it. How I wished I could be in her place. Then I saw him bending forward. I closed my eyes, I didn't want to see him kissing that heartless bitch so I just walked on. For the rest of the day, I didn't concentrate on anything. Usually I was very attentive, jotting notes down as the teacher talked and explained. Not today. I couldn't stop thinking about him. He had been gentle with me like no one ever had. Maybe because he needed my help. I sighed as I kept thinking about why he had asked me to help him. He could have asked someone else. There were other intelligent students in the school. Maybe it was because I was fat. I was the only person Lara would never be jealous of.