Fang: The Musher's Lead Wolf ->Chapter 2: The Native Tribe

Chapter 2: The Native Tribe

     “Well father what do you think?”

Henry’s father looks everything an old Shaman would be. Of course the old wore in jeans the man’s wearing kind of threw off the allusion.

 The man’s hands traveled under her front legs; to change the position he had her in while he analyzed the pup’s body structure. The way he held her now, helped him get a better view of the pup’s face. His own stayed emotionless and the look in his eyes seemed to hold a certain awareness to it.

    With a small smirk he nods “She’s going to be one good working animal?”

Chee came in from the kitchen with cups of coffee and an orange juice for Jake. Jake was on the floor playing with a toy car on the rug. “Here you go” she said gentle giving each cup to the men in the room.

  Henry smiled at his wife as she left the room again back into the kitchen. “Henry this pup shall be named Mia Tuk” Henry was taken back, by his father’s sudden statement. He turned his head, seeing his old man in the corner rocking chair. The pup sat on his lap, looking into the face of the old Shaman.

“Mia Tuk the white fangs of a wolf” Henry listened. “Chibiabos the Lord of the Spirit Realm… has sent this wolf cub to you. We of the Inuk Tribe have had spiritual guides to help show us the way along our own path through life. Since the beginning my boy. Chibiabos and mainly his treasured wolves for centuries have taught us about ourselves and who we are; it is now our turn. You my son must show Chibiabos that this tribe still holds respect and honor to him”.

 His father finally turned his sight to his son, showing him how serious he’s being. Knowing that his attention went elsewhere the pup, now named Mia Tuk jumped off. Not worrying about the pup running around in the house Henry continued to eye his father.

   He had to tell his father about what happened. The scene from earlier wouldn’t stop playing in his head. With what his father was going on about, his guilt slowly began to creep up again. ‘Why would the spirits send a pup my way when I was part of what happened?’ sighing Henry looked up at his father “Father I… something had happened in the woods this morning” his father held a hand up to stop his story. “Son … you need not explain yourself to me…if you know what you have done, then grow from that”. The old Shaman started “This is not meant to be a punishment…. I call you Cameahwait not because you are pulled by your loyal dogs, but because you go through life so fast that you don’t stop and notice the little things around. Slow down your speed my son, and Chibiabos will help you”.

 Henry turned to see the pup patting at Conzai head, trying to get him to play. He didn’t look too pleased in becoming a chew toy. When she felt his eyes on her, she turned to look. The scene before him helped make his decision on the pup. Her eyes didn’t look like they were focused yet. She was still partially blind, but the way that she looked at him made him believe that she could understand what he was going through.

  ‘The spirits must be testing me’ he sighs and rubs the back of his neck.

 ‘Spirits?’  A voice he has never heard before snapped his up. His eyes met with the pup’s; down on the rug. Mia Tuk tilted her head to the side, and walked off near Jake. ‘That was odd’ Henry had thought he heard something, but shrugged it off.

The pup didn’t seem that all scared her body’s relaxed showing no signs of discomfort. Henry glanced over at his father; the man turned his stare out the window, rocking his chair slowly. Henry had a feeling in his gut that having this pup here, was going to be the start of something knew.

  In some of their tribal traditions, the wolf is considered the highest spiritual teacher in the spirit realm, even above the hawk and eagle. Wolves are well respected in their tribe along with his wife’s. It was said that their people copied the life of the wolf.