Chapter 10: Notes, Names, and More Clichès

|| Nikki ||

"Any news regarding Shane or any other possible suspects?" Sara asks, switching on her ear and mouthpiece. The rest of us follow suit. Hana is the first to speak.

"Aside from his height-"

"Five-foot-eight," I cut in.

"-Hair and eye color-"

"Black, obviously. And dark brown."

"-And his strong attraction from girls, nothing."

"We should get more to that later on at Mission Control." Sara shrugs and sighs. The five of us are sitting around the smallest circular table we can find to prevent having to shout or speak loudly. "How about any of his friends?"

"Jason's been a jerk, as always. How about you, Erin? Learn anything new?" Sara asks. Erin shifts uncomfortably on her seat.

"Well, Theo-"

"Let me guess," Alicia says, "He waited for you before class, opened the door for you and turned out to be quite a gentleman?"

"How'd you know?" Erin asks, horror-stricken.

"I saw the first two. My class with Sara was further down the hall. I just guessed the last one, and you confirmed it," Alicia says, giggling. Erin sighs and buries her head in her hands.

"But seriously; Theo? A gentleman? I find that really hard to believe," I tell Erin.

"If you find that hard to believe, what's your reaction when I say that he takes interest in cultural arts and literature?"

Everyone's jaw drops on the table. Sara muffles a laugh. "He should be nicknamed the 'Modern Shakespeare'."

"He knows more about Les Miserablès than the entire class, and our English teacher acted like it was a common thing."

"That was shocking, but sadly not really part of the Mark Murder Case," Sara says. "Anything else?"

"Nix," we say in unison. She shakes her head and switches off her devices. "The President won't be happy. Tomorrow, we've got to make up for it."

"When are we going to actually investigate the crime scene? We could pick up uselful clues," Hana points out. "Like if the murderers are losing a shoe or something like that."

"I could check the security cameras," Erin offers.

"We should also bring our scanners and weapons in case we have unexpected company," Alicia suggests. "But when?"

"I can schedule a meeting with the President later today at six," Sara says. "If that's OK with you guys."

"I can't," Erin says, surprising us all. Of all the members of the Maroon Jackets, Erin West is the one with the least parties and thus the most time on her hands.

"What do you mean?" I ask.

"Theo and I sorta weren't able to finish our essay project. He asked if we could work on it now at lunch, but I declined because I had to meet up with you guys. So we settled at six after his soccer practice."

"Erin has a boyfriend!" Alicia cooes. "Our wittle girl has finally grown up!"

"Don't tease!" Erin exclaims, her pale cheeks giving away a bright red blush. "It isn't funny. And besides, it's only a meeting after soccer practice."

"You mean a one-on-one meeting after soccer practice."

"Ignoring that."

The five of us quickly finish up our lunch and walk to the counters to dispose our plates. As I'm walking to the line, someone places his hand on my forearm. Long fingers, light weight. "Jason, how can I help you?"