Chapter 6: News That I Never Knew

This chapter is dedicated to @KatesUng because of her endless support of my books!! <3

--

|| Shane ||

"Can you come over this afternoon?" a random girl squeals from somewhere to my right. I don't have to look back to know that it's Krislie, the captain of the cheerleading squad. During first year, when I was hanging out with her, she did give me a boost up the social ladder, but after a while, I'd been able to climb the rungs by myself... and look at where I am now: the very top.

"Sorry, Krislie. I have an all-boys' night today," I say dismissively. I hear her humph and walk away on those four-inch tall stilettos of hers. 

"Swift move, Walker," someone else praises from behind me. I turn around to see my best friend, Jason, walking over to me. People usually mistake us for brothers, because people with pitch-black hair like ours are hard to find in these parts. But we're not; I'm a Walker, he's a Moore.

"Thanks, Jason. Are Theo and Mac in this too?"

"You bet. As Mac would say, there's no party without him."

"This is just an overnight hangout. Not a party."

"Same thing for our friend," Jason deadpans, tossing me the pen I'd lent him earlier this morning. "Thanks, by the way."

Mcneil Volks is the party animal of the four of us. He has tanned skin, which I think he gets from his years of surfing, and dirty blond hair, which practically every girl falls for. He's ranked #3 on the social ladder, just below me, number one, and Jason, number 2. 

Theo Greeves is more on the moody, conservative side. Or so people think. Most times, it looks like he's just staring at his shoes or admiring the ground. But really, he isn't. That guy has ears like a bat. Nothing within a five-yard radius goes unheard to him. "No problem. Anytime."

The school bell rings and Jason waves goodbye and walks off to his friend, red-haired, slightly gothy Brianna Perth. She basically follows him everywhere like a loyal dog, and he looks out for her a lot, but they call their weird relationship 'brother-and-sister', which is understandable since they've been friends ever since birth, at least that's what Jason told me.

I turn on my phone and call my driver, Pierre, to pick me up by the front doors. I'd wanted to get a driver's license ever since I turned thirteen (because that was the age where I started to climb the social ladder), but sadly, I had to follow the laws and wait four more years. Now, I only have two, almost one more year to go.

"Pierre, pick me up now. I need to be home," I say into the receiver. My driver just clicks off and I shove my phone back into my bag before walking down the hall.

I've been in this school for years. Ever since first grade, maybe even earlier – I don't exactly remember, nor do I bother to keep track. The only three phases I remember in my high school life: not being in the social ladder, being in the social ladder, and being the social ladder. 

I'm stopped in my tracks.

"Hey, Shane. Did you hear the news?" a low voice asks. My eyes wander down the crowded hall to find no other than Theo Greeves standing by the principal's office, arms folded in a business-like manner. I walk up to him. "Dude, did you just come out from there--"

"That's not the point. Did you hear the news?" he cuts in, staring at me. One more thing you should know about Theo and his bat-hearing: he's like the gossip spy of the school. His favorite spying place is under the stairwell, where he can listen to the most secretive conversations unnoticed in the shadows.

I swear, there's not one thing that goes unheard to this guy.

"What news? Is it about the Krislie and her friends spray-painting the drum room with 'I LOVE – "

"No, not that. About the Mark ambush."

Now that catches my attention. I stand beside him, and he pretends to look at his watch as he tells me, "The FBI and other excuses for government agencies suspect that you're the mastermind."

"They what? How could they..." I exclaim, startled. I totally forget about meeting Pierre out front and give Theo my whole attention. He opens his mouth to answer.

Suddenly, my phone starts ringing and I press it to my ear. Theo just fixes his piercing gaze on the floor. It's Pierre. "What? I'll be out soon, just give me five minutes. Three. Pierre, I don't know why – fine."

"So?" Theo asks me in a dismal tone. I sigh and pocket my phone. "My annoying driver is ordering me to go out now. I suddenly remember why I wanted to learn how to drive two years ago."

"I'll just tell you tomorrow. Scratch that – in two days. I have a soccer game tomorrow." He nods at me and strides away, slipping past people so quickly that it's as if he was never here.

**

|| Hana ||

Our flight touches down at exactly 7:03 am, and I stash my headphones and iPod into my duffle bag and turn to shake Nikki awake. When I manage to do so, I peer out of the airplane window and at the sunrise outside. The skyscrapers of West Harston reflect the gentle orange light and I marvel at the beautiful sight. I might actually like this place.

"Are we here?" Nikki says, stretching. I nod and point outside. "We've just landed."

"You're perky today," she observes, raising an eyebrow.

"Just excited!"

"Don't go overboard, or I might just hate you like I hate Alicia."

"Hey; I heard that!" Alica's bleary voice exclaims from behind us, where she's sitting with Sara. Nikki just shakes her head a supresses a laugh.

"Girls, can you tone down your voices, please? If you didn't know, this is a public plane," the President tells us in her shrill tone. What she said was practically useless since everyone around us is doing the same thing: talking like there's no tomorrow.

"Please wait until the seatbelt sign is switched off before getting your luggage and other personal belongings from the overhead bins."

When the seatbelt sign switches off, the Jackets immediately shoot to our feet and pull out our baggage from under the seats and the overhead bins. We go through immigration and other stops before the President leads us – five normal teenage girls at the moment – out of the bustling airport and into the chilly streets.