E l e v e n

Make sure to like and comment if you enjoyed this chapter and give my account a follow for updates on when I will be publishing chapters, news and information on what is happening around here!

"There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds" - Laurell K. Hamilton

The blue and red lights are little more than smudgy illuminations through my tears eyes as I watch the hallway begin in to take on a vibrant red and blue colour as several police cars park outside our house, the colours tipping upwards into the night sky. The deafening sounds of the sirens echoed through the streets, grabbing the neighbours' attention around. As minutes passed and the police officers politely asked me to stand outside as they examined the area, I call my parents and rush them to come home as quickly as possible. My voice full of desperation making them both ask several questions but me instantly just telling them to get home and see for themselves.

My soft green orbs washed out all the green, just like my favourite jumper that had been fading from the excessive amount of washing it has been through, searched the streets for that familiar red car to come zooming past along with dad's black one. Instead, I see our neighbors all hanging out of their windows, curious at what all the racket was about as the stars illuminated the night sky. Children that had waved the night goodbye before closing their eyes shut were now fully wide awake and stood outside with their mothers and fathers, eyes full of excitement as they gaze at the horrors outside.

Thankfully, after a long while of nail picking, my mother pulls up on the drive way along with my father right behind her tail. The two quickly escape their cars as they pull me into a suffocating hug.

"Jesus, Adelaine, you scared us so much," my mother whispers as she nuzzles her head into my neck and her fingers slender around my arms, afraid to let go.

"When you called, we were so both so worried about you, Ade. God, I-I don't know what we'd do if something happened to you," my dad joins in, his voice cracking every other word as if he is about to breakdown, as he strokes my golden waves that messily fell down my face as sweat dripped from my forehead making strands of hair stick on making me look like a hot mess. Actually, just a mess.

My mother clings on my neck along with my dad, I stand awkwardly wrapping my two shaking hands around their backs making us form a hurdle like a football team after they had won a game.

"Mrs and Mr Colbert," a voice asks, confusion laced in their thick and hoarse tone. The three of us lift our heads up in sync and glance at the man stood in front of us, not much older than thirty or so, with his police officer uniform in place and a female officer right behind him with sympathy glimmering in her eyes as she looks at me with her almond eyes.

My mother and father instantly straighten up and remove themselves from the circle we were in before, creating an instant loss of both heat and the feeling of safety inside my petite body. It was for sure a cold moonless night. The sky was dark and low, the air so chilled it almost hurt to breathe.