Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I pushed through the crowd violently, as anger was boiling within me. Who did he think he was, to tell me what kind of a person my brother was? What did he know about us anyways? I was not a nuisance to my brother. He'd just called me to tell me that he loved me. He said I was the best sibling he could have ever asked for. Nervy Muscles knew nothing. He was just a big moron messing with my brother.

I entered Jade's exquisite living room, now looking sort of trashy with all the junkies. To my relief, I spotted Aiden in a corner, hanging with a bunch of boys, all of whom looked high, with wild, red eyes.  I walked up to them, nervousness crawling under my skin.

"Ems!" Aiden noticed me. He looked so innocent even with red eyes. He walked right up to me and pulled me in a tight bear hug.

"That's enough Aiden", I pushed him away lightly. Once someone's hurt you, it's harder to relax around them, harder to think of them as safe to love. His hugs were a mark of comfort for me, and I didn't want to taint them with memories of his drug abuse.

He give me a questioning look, then added, " What are you doing here anyways, Ems? I thought you didn't like these events".

"I don't", I stated. "I came to get you".

Aiden just looked confused now. I heaved a sigh. "Let's just go home, Aiden", I pleaded.

"Why do you wanna go home? Enjoy the party!" he insisted, and pulled me along. I used all my force to bring him to a halt.

"I don’t want to", I replied firmly.

"What the hell, Emily. You come to a party and then you say that you don’t wanna hang out? What is wrong with you", his voice had a hint of annoyance that surprised me and made me cringe at the same time.

"Let it go,bro", came a voice behind me. It was a deep, husky voice that was strangely familiar, yet unfamiliar. I snapped my head to stare at the face.

"What's it got to do with you?" Aiden asked harshly. He wasn't usually this hotheaded. I supposed the drugs affected him that way. He walked up to me, then past me, to come face to face with the guy that interrupted us.

"I just think you should go home", the guy shrugged.

"Yeah," Aiden mocked, "I think you should mind your own business".

"Dude, you're high and you're not thinking straight. You don't wanna mess with me", the guy responded. His voice had a warning in it this time.

I shuddered at the thought of Aiden getting hurt. I had to stop this. I went and stood in between them, facing Aiden, and giving the guy my back.

"That's enough, Aiden", I said.

"Why don't you tell him to back off, Ems", he was fuming by now, "Or do you think I'm not tough enough to face him. You -"

"That's exactly what she thinks, bro", the guy added cockily. I turned my head to glare at him, but he continued anyways, "You're sister might be a tight-ass and a dope, but she is totally right about this. You're not that tough". His eyes met mine and they were bright with amusement.

"What did you just call her?" Aiden clenched his fist, "Don't you dare call her names, Walden".

"You're sister", he slurred, "Is a total loudmouthed gasbag. You should know that. And you should be thankfully that I haven't called her a lardass, or how I think deep down she is actually a floozy. She just doesn’t admit to it".

"You son of a bitch!" Aiden yelled, and launched his fist towards Walden.

Walden dodged it with ease. Aiden wasn't weak or slow, but he definitely wasn't at his best stance right now, where as Walden seemed pretty fresh.

"Aiden, please stop", I blocked his way.

"Don't get in my way, Ems. He's not getting away with this. Nobody gets away insulting my sister", his voice was stern and strong. I should have been proud to have a brother who cared so immensely about his sister's reputation, I suppose, but all I felt was tired and miserable.

Aiden wouldn't let this go, but it didn't seem like he'd be able to get his hands on Walden. Thankfully, it didn't seem like Walden was in the mood to punch. He was just playing around with Aiden, getting on his nerves. This could probably end if Walden would stop jeering my brother. I could think of no reason why Walden would listen to me if I begged him to stop, but I had to try.

"Let it go", I said weakly, reaching out to hold his wrist, "Please".

"C'mon chick, your brother's enjoying this", he smirked, removing my hand from his wrist.

"Isn't there a tad of decency in you that's telling you to stop messing around with a poor teenager, who is high and has no control over himself?" I shouted with frustration.

"Somewhere deep down, there's probably a decent man in me, he just can't be found", he shrugged, and added, "Plus, I don't get why you're pointing fingers at me. I was the one telling your brother to go home in the beginning remember? I was helping you".

"If you want to help me, then leave us alone", I shot daggers with my eyes at him.

"I'm not a dog that your rich parents bought for you. I do what I want to do. I chose to help you, but your brother's stubborn attitude pissed me off, and now I choose not to. You can love me for it or hate me for it, I don't care", his eyes didn't move an inch from mine.

We stood there, glaring at each other for what felt like a very long time. Both of our egos were beyond us in that moment. Breaking the eye contact would be like cowering away, which wasn't an option for either of us. My hands were beginning to shake with the rising tension. I knew I would lose if I didn't do something immediately.

Think, Emily, think.

"A thousand dollars for leaving my brother alone", I huffed.

Walden raised an eyebrow, and smirked. "Now wasn't I right about you. Your life is that perfect happy bubble, where you can get rid of all your problems, by buying them".

I noticed that he hadn't refused the offer. Maybe if I raised the bar…

"Two thousand dollars", I smirked now. He could lecture me all he wanted about how he couldn't be controlled, but the money I was offering was big. Surely, someone like him, who was involved in the drug business for money would go for it.

"Five thousand", he stated. Was he serious? I did have that much money, but I knew that was too much to simply give off. I tried studying his expression, but it was unreadable.

"Three thousand", I tried. My heart was beating against my chest. I had no idea what I was doing. I had never been in a situation like this before. But I made sure that my face didn't give it away.

"Deal", he smirked, and I mirrored his expression, with pride.

I had actually succeeded to get rid of my problems, and my brother's. I had eliminated Walden from our lives, or should I say Nervy Muscles.  

Author's Note : I knew this isn't the most well written chapter, and it's also kinda short, but I promise the next chapter won't let you down. Keep reading, fellas! :)