Chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

Holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. So the next morning I decided to cool it off with Aiden. I decided to ignore the whole I-was-worried-and-you-pounced-on-me-instead incident, and talk to him normally. Aiden was the only family I felt like I had, and I hated having negative feelings towards him. It disturbed me even when it wasn't my fault. Like now.

No, my parents did not die. But on most days, they might as well be dead. Existence of a person in your life requires communication, which we did not have. Of course, I had their number and they had mine, but we didn't call each other unless there was a reason. And emotions don't count as reason. The reasons for calling include health issues, bank balance issues, educational issues, etc. Never have I ever called either of my parents because I missed them, or I felt lonely. It has always been Aiden.

Aiden's stood by me all my life like the moon stands by the Earth. He doesn't pay my bills, but except for that he might as well be my parent. Sure, he can be over-protective and moody, but he loves me more than anyone else in the world. That's my big bro.

I reached his door and was about to knock when I heard some talking inside. On most occasions, eavesdropping isn’t in my character, but I couldn't help myself. It was the tone in his voice. It had a kind of desperation that fueled curiosity in me.

"Just tell me when I can get it", said an anxious, deep voice. Aiden's.

I couldn't hear a voice replying, indicating he was on the phone, with the speakers turned off.

"I can't. I have school then, remember?" he replied, frantically.

"I can't. My sister will get suspicious. I can't risk that man", he whispered. All my senses became highly alert at the word "sister". Aiden was hiding something from me, which meant I HAD to know what it was.

"Ok, fine. I'll be there", he said desperately and sighed.

I rushed back to the room before Aiden could get a hint of my presence.

"Ems!" Aiden called out.

"Yeah, I'm coming!" I answered. I was getting ready for school like always, although I wasn't actually going. I had to follow Aiden.

Aiden was waiting by our front door as I jogged down the stairs. I innocently walked up to him and smiled. Aiden, however, had a hesitant look on his face. His smile was uncertain and he seemed nervous. I pretended to not notice and said casually, "Let's go".

"Aren't you going with Luke?" he asked.

"I told him I'd come with you today. I realized we haven't hung out with each other for a while now. I was busy with my new relationship and you were busy doing whatever it is you do", I said mockingly, but his eyebrows twitched. "Anyways", I continued, "I thought we should have some bonding time, even though it's as short as a drive to school".

I'd told Luke not to pick me up, but that was not the reason I'd given him. I'd told him I wasn’t feeling well so I'd stay at home. He'd offered to bunk school to spend the day with me, but I told him I'd just be sleeping the whole day and he'd get bored. Also, I'd appreciate it more if he'd come by later to drop off my assignments.

I don’t know why I lied to Luke. It wasn't that I didn't trust him, and I knew he'd care. I think it was mostly because anything related to Aiden made me vulnerable, and I hated having weaknesses.

"Ems", he said softly, "I can't."

He came closer and put his hands on my shoulders. "I know we haven't spent much time together recently but I have some things to do today."