Flying

“Papa!” I shouted and dived into his arms. He held me to him tightly

“I’m so sorry.” He said “I know I should’ve visited you more, but it was for your mother.”

I gave  him a teary smile “it’s okay, I’m glad we can talk more now.”

“Violet?”

I turned and saw my mum. I gave her a tight squeeze.

“Antonio.” My mum whispered

“Haven.” My dad replied.

I smiled. Finally. My family together. We all went for a walk around the lake, my mum and dad holding hands, they explained to me the reasons they didn’t stay together.

Mum’s parents disagreed with Antonio being Mum’s lover and threatened to kill him if he came back. Mum didn’t want that, she begged for him to stay away, for his sake. When it came to the point about 6 months ago, mum couldn’t handle it anymore and disowned her parents as family, when the angels heard what her parents had done they were exiled to a land where they never grew hungry, tired, thirsty. They couldn’t leave for a century, the area was pure white, nothing but white. They could never feel aroused so they could never have sex, the only thing they had was each other for company. But, they could only speak for 12 hours at a time, so one could speak for 12 hours while the other couldn’t, after 12 hours it was the other’s turn. They had no entertainment and it was a place to think about what you had done wrong.

After about 2 hours they had to leave, they were free to visit me on weekends, but they probably couldn’t very often, not that I minded, they were together and we were a family. I could call them everyday, and I let the knowledge of the fact they could see me whenever I needed them comfort me.

They explained that the necklaces they gave me were the Angel side of me and the Demon side of me. The Angel one was a white wing and the Demon was a black wing. They then gave me a locket, in the locket was one of my father’s feathers and one of my mother’s. The locket was only small, about the size of my thumb nail in the shape of a heart. They had used magic to enable the feathers to fit in.

We said our goodbyes and I started to walk back to the school. I was surprised to see Luke walking towards me, his white and blue hair standing out as the sun started to slowly set.

“Hey.”

“Hey.” He replied “I’ve been told to ‘escort’ you back to your room.” He said, rolling his eyes.

“You don’t sound to pleased about that.” I teased

“It’s not that.” He said with a chuckle “It’s the fact that you know your way back.”

I shrugged.

We walked in comfortable silence, in no hurry to get back, the school building was getting closer. I frowned.

“What’s up?” he asked

“I don’t want to go back yet…”

“We don’t have to.” He said with an smile

“We don’t?”

“Nope, want to go for a fly?”

“Okay.”

Two white wings sprouted out of his back, I took my wings out.

“I’m never going to get used to that.” He said.

“used to what?”

“Your wings.” He said softly

“Oh?”