Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Is there anything wrong dear?" Mrs Ainsworth questions.

"Huh." My attention is taken by her but instantaneously I'm back to staring holes into Alyssa's face. I feel the prickling of my senses grazing my skin from inside so I rub my arms in order to scratch them away. How can this be... how is it possible to have a picture of my Emma in this house. My eyes linger over every inch of the girl's face and I note that she is much older than Emma and wears a well thought out outfit that consists of a navy blue blazer and pleated pink skirt. She is definitely not Emma.

"Do you know her?"

I look at Mrs Ainsworth dazed and struggle to contain my shock.

"No... not at all." I say with a smile taking one last look at the picture. "There's a photograph missing." My sight has been taken by the space between Mr and Mrs Bevilacqua and Alyssa. I look at Mrs Ainsworth for confirmation and find her watching me intently. I have managed to change the subject but my mind is still swimming with the image of Alyssa and I cannot shake the horrible feeling that comes with it.

"Oh that." She presses her lips together and walks past me towards the door. I follow her thinking she won't respond but then she does as we reach the front door. "The oldest's picture fell during cleaning... it will be replaced soon."

"I see."

"When would you like to start?"

She's standing by the closed door with her hand gripping the doorknob.

"Start... the job?" I ask inanely. I had been needlessly worrying over the interview that I hadn't given getting it a thought. Had I even been interviewed? Mrs Ainsworth had introduced me to the staff but I thought a real interview was underway. "What about the interview?"

"You have been interviewed dear... all I need to know is when you can come to work."

I am dumbfounded and confused. I know that I got the job interview through an odd connection but I had anticipated great difficulty into getting it. It is a rich man's home after all. Aren't there background checks involved or various questions needed answered? I have so many questions but I'm afraid I will come across rude if I ask them. I should be grateful and take this opportunity and run with it so I smile and thank her before telling her that I can start right away.

"That's sorted then... I will see you bright and early on Monday."

"Thank you for everything Mrs Ainsworth, I'll see you on Monday." I walk through the door having nothing more to say but a lot to think about.

****

Angela is holding Emma when I get back to the apartment. I get out of the cab and breathe in a much deserved breath before I walk towards them. My expression cannot be good because when Angela sees me, her sigh of relief and smile instantly morph into worry. She walks to me with careful strides, her hand resting on my sleeping daughter's back. She stops and tilts her head.

"Did you not get the job?" she questions, her perfectly shaped eyebrows pulled together. Today she wears an oversized hoodie over baggy jeans and even in this state, I see why she'll easily make it in the film industry. When I left her with Emma this morning her long black hair was neatly placed in a tight pony tail but now, its loose and hairs stick to the sides of her face... looking after Emma will do that to you.

"I did." I reply with a slight smile. I place my hand over hers and move past her towards the door... I hear her footsteps following behind. "Why are you outside?" I am not yet ready to answer her questions so I change the subject asking one of my own.