Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

"Chase, if I didn't know better then I would swear you were nervous." Leah said as she glanced over at Chase riding beside her. Town was in sight and he had been quiet all day. Quieter than usual anyway. He looked over at her and raised his brow.

"I am never nervous." Leah rolled her eyes.

"I know, that's why I said if I didn't know better. There is something wrong with you though."

"I want you to be prepared. Not everyone is as accepting of my skin as you are and those that are not will not be accepting of you either."

"They can think and say what they want, Chase. I won't leave you."

"I know you won't. I think I already said once that I wouldn't allow it."

"Now you're just trying to get me angry." Leah stated with a smile. "And it won't work. Today is going to be the best day of my life so far and I won't let you get me worked up."

Chase nodded and offered her a small smile but his worries were not eased. He hated towns. He hated being around so many people. He hated the stares, the looks, the whispers. He just hoped they'd find a judge or a preacher that would wed them despite his heritage.

***

Leah instantly noticed the looks she and Chase received as they walked hand in hand down the road. They had put their horses up at the livery and were now making their way down the fairly crowded streets of Billings. The town was fairly well off and a frequent resting place for those heading to California.

Women in fancy dresses with parasols and giant hats moved to the other side of the street to avoid walking too close to Chase. Men put their hands on their guns or shielded their children and wives with their bodies as he passed by them. Leah glanced up at Chase but he was just walking proudly with his shoulders thrown back and his chest out.

He looked proud and handsome and yet she could see what those people saw. There was a wildness about him. His dark skin, sharp black eyes and long, dark as night hair. His buckskin pants and thin cotton shirt were much different than what most were wearing and he had a confident air about him. Everything about him screamed 'man' and 'wild'. Untamable.

Untamable to all but her of course. Leah smiled to herself and moved closer to him and he released her hand and slid his arm around her shoulders in response.

Chase looked down at her and wondered if she realized that she looked more savage than white as they walked the streets of this town. The sunlight had darkened her skin and while her long dark hair was pulled back, the pride with which she held her shoulders and stuck up her chin gave her a look so different from the 'civilized' women walking past them.

"Being with me has almost turned you into an apache." he whispered, stooping down to breath the words into her ear. Leah smiled proudly.

"I will take that as a compliment since you are the best man that I know."

"You think too highly of me. I am good to you but no one else will be treated that nicely."

"Since you seem to be in such a good mood why don't you take me to the dress shop and let me pick out something pretty to wear?" Leah asked.

"You do not need fancy clothes." Chase replied with a dismissive wave of his hand.

"No but I would like them." she replied.

"You want to waste money on something you do not need?" Chase demanded with annoyance and Leah glared up at him.

"How many times am I going to get married, Chase? I would like to do it in something other than a dirt covered work dress and worn out boots!"