Chapter Fifteen: Inej

I like this song, and think it sort of applies to what's happening.

(Seventh day of being taken) (I changed a couple of dates)

Inej lay flat on her back, staring up at the plain ceiling, in total pain.  She couldn't register the full extent of it though past the infection and fever.  She had to distract herself, so she started to list her injuries.
1. Broken leg
2. Broken arm
3. Dislocated shoulder
4. Beaten to pulp
5.Her ulna was sticking out of her arm
6. She had been shot in the foot

Inej groaned, it was worse than she thought.  She would probably die here.  She heard a key inserted in the lock and raised her head slightly.  When she saw W she made to stand, but her knees buckled and she fell onto them.  He shut the door and walked over to her quickly, grabbing her arm.  Inej barked in pain, and he shook her.

"Quiet, we're leaving.  Your friends are here," he growled, dragging her towards the door.  As the words sank in determination clanged through Inej.  She would not be taken again.  She was not some wilting flower, she was strong.  Inej waited until he had her out of the room and the door closed before she lifted her non-broken arm and punched him in the jaw.  He looked down at her.  Then he threw her into the wall.  Inej hit the wall hard, her teeth clattering in her skull, black dots flashing across her vision.  She pushed off the wall, limping backwards, away from him.  He stalked over to her and Inej rolled, barreling into him.  She heard his head hit the ground, which was marble outside the room.  She jumped up, well, shakily stood, and staggered away, but he got up, shouting at her.  Inej couldn't really hear him though over the relief that flossed her veins as she heard gun shots. 
She knew that sound, the slightest straining noise before the bullet was shot, those were Avele and Maren, Jesper's revolvers. The man lunged, Inej tried to dodge but he grabbed her feet from underneath her and she fell to the ground. Her bad arm fell beneath her and she screamed as pain made her arm go numb and the sickening sound of cracking bones filled the hallway. She rolled onto her back, and W stood over her. Two of his men came running around the corner.

"Boss! He's coming!" one of them shouted.

"Don't leave! I hired you to help!" W bellowed.

"I didn't sign up to die!" They left him and W glared down at her, gently putting a foot on her throat. This was it. She was going to be dead. At least he never got what he wanted from Kaz.  She guessed it from the time he'd come storming in the night Kaz was supposed to pay him for talking to Inej.  That was one of the nights he'd beaten her with his bare hands instead of his knife or one of his goons doing it for him. W pressed down on her throat, harder and harder, until she couldn't breath. Black was crawling in over her vision and her air had run out. She closed her eyes, welcoming Death, she wanted to be strong until the end.  No more screaming.  Her friends hadn't made it in time.  As she slipped away she heard a familiar rasp, and her eyes slowly opened.

"Hello, Mr. Berge. Lovely day, isn't it?" Kaz had Matthias holding his throaty, and Jesper had his guns pointed at him, Nina lounging against the wall, and Wylan... was nowhere to be seen. Inej looked at them and Kaz looked down at her.

"Kill me if you want," shrugged the man.

"Oh no, I wouldn't want to kill you. I'm going to send you home, to your wife, and then I want you both to go check on your son. He's... hanging out," Kaz said, an evil smile curling his lips. Inej breathed in a shuttering breath and Kaz said,

"Night." Then Jesper hit him with one of the revolvers, knocking him out. Kaz immediately dropped to his knees beside her, his blue-black eyes full of sorrow.  Inej felt his strong arms slide under her and he lifted her up, holding her close to his chest.  Inej grimaced, and he shifted her arm so that it hung limply by her side. Inej turned her face into his chest, and then he started walking.