Chapter Ten: Nina

(Two days later)

Nina woke up with a groan, her alarm buzzing.  She shifted in the warm bed Mrs. Helvar had made for her eight or so hours ago.  It was now six in the morning.  Nina lay listening to the song playing as the alarm before grabbing her phone and turning it off.   She was in the room connected to Matthias',want for his older sister Adele when she was home.  The room was a pale grey, and it only had a desk and a bookcase full org human anatomy text books, surgical terms and the such.  Adele had been gone for a few months, so the bed had been re-made, allowing Nina to take up residence.   The grisha girl looked out the window, pulling back one of the pale blue curtains.  The sun had painted its morning canvas in excellent hues of purple and pink with accents of orange and darker purple grey to shade, the star it's center.  She heard the sink turn on in the bathroom and knew Matty was up.  Nina rolled out of bed, putting her robe on over her underthings and stumbling into the bathroom.  She looked over Matthias.  He wore black sleep pants, his blonde hair ruffled, and his black glasses with black-blue arms on.  She smiled to herself, she thought he was cute with glasses.  She started running water into the white marble sink.  She washed her wrists, hands, and face to water herself up.  Then she brushed her teeth.  The mirror before her was long and wide, and the sink was a two person vanity.  Matthias was so close.  Nina watched his muscles flex as he stretched.

"Admiring my amazing glasses," he joked.  She walked over and plucked them off his face. He squinted immediately. Nina placed them on her face and her eyes watered because of the stress on them.

"Matty! You're blind!" she gasped, taking off the glasses and putting them back on Matthias. She had not been able to see a thing, everything was a blur. Matthias blinked a few times before saying,

"I am not!" She laughed and shook her head.

"Why don't you ever wear your glasses to school?"

"They're gross. I don't look as intimidating." She laughed again at him and reached up to pat his cheek.

"My poor little Matty." He huffed a breath and she left the bathroom. Closing and locking both her doors, she changed into a red blouse and black leather pants with black boots and a thin two inch heel. She went back into the bathroom and pulled up her hair in a milkmaid braid, then donning her black mascara and lipgloss with light eyeshadow. She put in ruby earrings and looked at Matthias. He wore black jeans and sneakers with a blue t-shirt. He looked down at her and said,

"My mother and father already left, so you're going to have to eat cereal." Nina shrugged and walked out of the bathroom and out of her room towards the staircase. Matthias followed her and they descended. It was six forty five now. School started at eight. They traversed the amount of floor towards the kitchen. The floor was wood and her heels clacked against it. She opened the large fridge and found the gallon of milk his mom had re-stocked this morning, and put it on the white marble counter. The kitchen wasn't as big as hers, but big enough, with white marble and walls. Matthias got out bowls and spoons as she grabbed them Cornflakes. She poured the cereal and he poured the milk into the bowls, and as they sat down next to each other at the table she was proud of their quiet, efficient routine.

"Thanks for letting me stay over Matty. My dad... he drives me crazy." Matthias smiled and leaned over, kissing her lightly.

"Of course my little red bird." Nina hummed to herself as they ate. After they were done Matthias cleaned out the dishes and put them away.

"Ready for school?"

"No," Nina huffed. He patted her head adoringly.

"Only two hundred-ish days left, a bit more. Don't worry. You'll make it." She stood up and they grabbed the lunches Mrs. Helvar had made them out of the fridge, tucking them into their backpacks and heading out to Matthias' car. They climbed in and Nina's phone pinged. She looked at it. Kaz had sent her a picture. She squinted, trying to figure out what it was, when she gasped. It was Inej, torn up and bleeding. Nina turned to Matthias.

"They're hurting her."

Hey guys! Thanks for reading so far! I know it isn't amazing, but I'm still trying. I know this is short, I'm so bad at everyone! But especially anyone that isn't Kaz or Inej. Ugh, I hate myself. Sorry guys. Anyway, please comment!

-MOJ

P.S. Please pardon any mistakes.