Chapter 4: The Champions are Selected

CHAPTER FOUR:  THE CHAMPIONS ARE SELECTED

Harry Potter was sitting in the back of the Great Hall when Dumbledore announced that the time had come for the champion selection.  A tense silence fell on the audience.  The Gryffindor fourth years kept throwing glances in the direction of Neville Longbottom who was sitting between Harry and Ginny.  Neville looked very casual on the surface, but Harry and Ginny knew that he had not slept at all the night before.  Neville really did not want to participate in the Triwizard Tournament and the thought of his being selected was causing him a great discomfort.  

“I don’t want eternal glory, Harry,” he had explained at breakfast.  “I don’t want to wrestle with giants.  I just want to sit back and enjoy the show.”

“It’s going to be a sixth or seventh year anyway,” Ginny had offered.  She and Harry were trying very hard to cheer Neville up.

As far as the champion selection was concerned, Harry was more worried about what could happen if Cedric Diggory became Hogwarts champion.  He was not sure that he wanted Cedric to compete this time around, but the Hufflepuff seventh year, Quidditch Seeker and Captain of the team, was the Hogwarts favourite so far.  Everyone was betting that it would either be Cedric Diggory or Nev Longbottom.  For his part, Harry hoped that it would be neither of the two.

“The Durmstrang champion is Viktor Krum!” said Dumbledore in a strong voice that brought Harry out of his reverie.

Harry looked over at the staff table.  Igor Karkarof was beaming.  Mr Crouch was bent over a long piece of parchment and didn’t look nearly interested in the selection.  Madame Maxime was standing proudly behind her students (“The champion from Beaubatons is Fleur Delacour!”).  Harry’s father was clapping vigorously.  He, too, was glancing at Neville.  Then the moment came.

“The Hogwarts champion is Neville Longbottom!”

The Great Hall exploded with applause.  Everyone was on their feet.  Harry had never seen such excitement in the Great Hall.  The magical ceiling had become filled with shooting stars.  Ron, Dean and Seamus were pushing Neville forward to the middle of the Great Hall.  It all happened so fast that Harry did not even have time to say anything to Neville, no word of encouragement or support.

It took some time for the Great Hall to empty while the champions were taken into the Trophy Room.  Harry insisted on remaining until the Hall was completely deserted.  A part of him half-expected the Goblet to spill out a fourth name.  However it did not happen.  Ginny was beginning to yawn when they finally decided to head back to the Common Room.

When they walked in, Harry was shocked to find that Neville’s name had been written all over the place.  Someone had also drawn an enormous golden bolt of lightening on a long white sheet and it was hanging from the ceiling.

“Where’s Nev?” asked Fred and George, jumping from behind a couch.

Harry glanced quickly over at Ginny, wondering if she might have a clue.  She simply shrugged, ignoring Harry’s stare.

“Don’t know.  I wouldn’t wait up if I were you.  I bet they’ll keep the champions up all night with all the rules, the interviews and so on.”

With a sigh of disappointment, the Gryffindors all emerged from their various hiding places and started wearily to head towards their dormitories.  

“We’ll congratulate him at breakfast then,” said Fred, yawning.  “Bless the little squirt.  I bet he’ll be the youngest Triwizard champion ever.  All the teachers say that he must be really special.  Well we’ll soon see.  Good night!”