Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Leah

            It’s been two weeks since I first woke up in Noah’s arms.  We were on the couch and I had fallen asleep watching TV with him.  When he shifted to get more comfortable, I woke up and quickly realized I was still in his arms.  For the briefest of moments I considered standing up, but then I noticed the heaviness of my heartbreak felt lighter with his arms wrapped around me.  I closed my eyes again and let myself drift back to sleep wrapped in the comfort and security of his arms. 

            During the week we do not get to spend too much time together at the apartment since I have classes and he is working on his dissertation and also does something with one of the psychology professors on campus.  I’m not sure exactly what his position there is, but I know that it fulfills some requirement of his degree.  I would be lying if I didn’t say that sometimes I practically sprint home to get an extra minute of his time. 

            I check in on my apartment daily, and I feel some sadness at how quickly it is coming together.  I love living with Noah and I am worried that my dreams of being happy in an apartment of my own is not going to be what I thought it was.  There’s just something fantastic about sitting on the counter in the kitchen with a glass of wine while Noah cooks us dinner.  I’m not sure I’m ever going to want to give that up.

            I’m not exactly sure what you would call the relationship that Noah and I have right now.  It is definitely a friendship, we are learning more about each other everyday.  It’s also something a little more than that too.  I feel myself drawn to him and in some way in tuned to his thoughts already.  I know it isn’t a romantic relationship in the traditional sense, but it is fulfilling a need in me to be nurtured and cared for.  It also feels like a deeper form of companionship that any other friendship I have ever experienced. 

            Noah has become the first person I text when something funny happens or I need to vent.  When my phone chimes I feel a small rush when I think it might be from him.  I know that all new relationships elicit a feeling of excitement, but what I feel being connected to him is significantly more exaggerated than a simple skip of my heart.  I love that he makes me smile, can comfort me at my darkest times, and simply is genuine with his words. 

            Lyle isn’t forgotten.  The pain of what has happened between us is still raw.  He reaches out from time to time to make sure I am ok.  I’m beginning to understand that we had a relationship built on dependence.  He’s struggling to be happy when I’m so hurt, but I guess it is just taking us a long time to realize that making me happy is not his responsibility.  It’s mine. 

            Friday on campus is always my favorite.  Only the serious students are on campus as the others have cleared out for the weekend.  I’m just leaving my last class when my phone chimes. 

Noah: I have some good news.

Me: What is it?

Noah:  Your bed arrived today.  I had them put it in the extra bedroom.

This of course is excellent news, but it doesn’t feel that way.  We’ve fallen into a comfortable routine of sleeping in his bed each night.  It has only been a week, but I look forward to us climbing in and talking about many things.  I love the way he props his head so he can look at me as I tell him about things I don’t usually discuss with any one. 

            Hearing him open up to me feels so rewarding.  I’m honored that I have become an important player in his inner circle.  He tells me so many things from his childhood to the newest rumor in his department.  Sometimes we stay up so late talking I worry I’m going to fall asleep mid sentence.  When we have said everything we need to, the spaces between our stories become greater and greater until he offers me his arm and I lay my head on his chest.