13 | boys in bands

❝Happiness comes in many forms -- in the company of good friends, in the feeling you get when you make someone else’s dream come true, or in the promise of hope renewed. It’s okay to let yourself be happy because you never know how fleeting that happiness might be.❞ ▬ Lucas Scott, One Tree Hill.

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

Niall stays a while but that evening, as if by some unspoken agreement, he goes back to his decrepit house. We both know it's because my mother clearly doesn't want him around anymore, and we don't need to confirm it aloud. So instead, he simply pulls me close and holds me tight, one hand coming to rest on the back of my head. "I'll see you tomorrow, okay?" He whispers, and those words are full of promise. They assure me that this dream is unlikely to end soon. I guess that's what I fear the most; Niall and I losing touch, our friendship coming to a sudden end, just like every friendship I've ever had. With Niall, I'm on cloud nine -- and I'm absolutely terrified of unexpectedly crashing to the ground. 

When we part, Niall tells me to come round to his house as soon as possible tomorrow morning; he doesn't say it, but I can tell he doesn't like the idea of coming back here, and as a result coming face to face with my mother again. I don't blame him. After she stormed out, things were more than awkward; we sat eating our bacon sandwiches in total silence, a sour taste on our tongues which even the delicious meal couldn't mask. 

After staring at each other for a long time, taking each other in, he strides off down the sun-drenched pavement, and he's gone. Luckily, he doesn't leave empty handed. I've prepared him with a tub filled with the remainder of the homemade chocolate-chip cookies -- I don't think Mum will notice they're gone -- and a carton of orange juice. It's not much, but I can't risk my mother realising that Niall has taken some of our food, and besides, I plan on bringing him a feast tomorrow.

As a result of Niall's early departure, I spend the evening feeling oddly lonely; not the kind of lonely I'm used to, though -- the type of unchangeable loneliness that leaves you feeling hopeless and helpless. No, it's the different kind; the yearning kind, the kind that isn't entirely melancholic because you know that there's somebody who can take away the loneliness in an instant, but is still fairly upsetting due to the fact that you've only just realised that you can't possibly spend every single waking moment with said person.  

How I wish I could, though. After spending the last twenty-four hours in Niall's blissful company, I've decided that there's no person I'd rather spend my time with. And, quite frankly, I miss him. I miss his warmth and positivity; his loud laughter and gorgeous blue eyes. 

As I make myself a steaming mug of coffee, I open the freezer to find something to cook for dinner, but I realise I'm not hungry and close it promptly. I can't help but feel nervous about tomorrow, about what the day will hold. I'm anxious about meeting the other members of the band, too. What if they laugh at me? Take advantage of me being the only girl there? Are rude to me? To Niall? The whole idea of it leaves a lump in my throat. 

As it turns out, however, I have absolutely nothing to fret over. The next morning, when I head over to Niall's at ten -- after purchasing a couple of breakfast muffins from the local McDonalds -- I find that I'm not the first to arrive, and I'm greeted by nothing but friendliness. I knock on the door and a bright-eyed lad about my height opens the door, grinning; his blue gaze is kind and he welcomes me in as if this is his home and I'm an old family friend. 

"You're Anna, right? I'm Louis. Nice to meet ya, love," he says, his voice high-pitched and lovely. I wonder if all members of the band will be this attractive; Niall and Harry are certainly no exception.