Chapter Three

Going through the motions was always difficult for me as a little girl. It was always mental obstacles but this time it's physical. Seasickness. I opened my eyes to find myself in a dimly lit room and all I could feel is my body going back and forth churning my stomach like a soup in the King's Kitchen.

"Mira?" Quinn softly said.

"Guhh." Was all I could say in response.

"I'm sorry but there isn't anything in the galley for seasickness."

"It's---" I quickly swallowed the bile rising up my throat. "It's all right."

"When it's my watch I'll let you come out and spit."

           "I'll be fine."

"Are you hungry? Do you want any rum?"

"No, I'll be fine without anything thank you."

"At least eat a piece of an apple."

I hesitantly nodded.

He peeled one apple and cut it into several pieces. "Eat, it'll give you strength."

After several pieces, I asked, "How long have I been sleeping?"

"Almost two days now."

                  "Wow," I commented. "Has anything happened? Do they suspect?"

"No fortunately. But you must remain hidden."

"Of course."

As Quinn opened his mouth to say something, a knock on the door interrupted him.

"Quinn are you in there? Is Tom with you?"

I stared at the door shaking with fear, as the door slowly opened.

“Quick Mira, don’t just stand there hide!” Quinn fiercely whispered.

“But wh—“ I was quickly cut off as Quinn pushed me under the bed, just as the door stood wide open.

                “Ahchoo!” Quinn sneezed as dust flew up everywhere.  “Hey there Eon. Who were you looking for?”

“Tom. I haven’t seen him since last night,” Eon replied. “Oh, if he’s gone to get drunk again, the Captain will throw him into the sea!”

“Again.” Quinn pointed out.

“Again,” Eon nodded. “But speaking of disappearances, where did you go last night Quinn?” Eon narrowed his eyes.

“I just needed some different air. You should know that all of us stink.”

“Yeah? Then why did it take you longer to climb up the rope?” Eon interrogated.

“I was drunk!” Quinn replied.

“You seem to like that excuse…”

“Well Tom seems to use that excuse a lot more than me.” Quinn retorted.

“You’re one to talk!” Eon yelled.

Through the dust I could see feet moving and lunging at a body.

I almost yelled out “Quinn!” Almost.

But if I did so, then I would surely have been found out and Quinn would have had to pay the penalty.

As I slowly breathed trying not to make my existence obvious, Eon suddenly landed on the floor and I could not help but gasp.

Eon turned his head and made eye contact with me.  My heart beat slowly as though time had stopped.

Oh please oh please don’t see through the dust. Please be blind. I could not help but pray.

“Quinn…You have a ghost in here or something? I see the dust moving.”

“Man did I hit you that hard? Sorry. Go back on deck. Or see Pit for some rum. That’ll help.”

“Yeah. Rum. That’s what I need. Then I’ll go back to finding Tom.”

Eon slowly stood up and walked to the door. “But Quinn. This isn’t over.”

“Yeah, I know,” Quinn replied.

As the door slowly closed, we both waited in silence.

“Mira?” Quinn quietly whispered.

“Yes?”

“We have to find a better hiding place for you.”

                “Yes,” I nodded. “I agree. But where?”

“Perhaps…No, that would be way too easy for someone to find you,” He muttered to himself.

“Why? Where were you thinking of putting me?”

“I was thinking the food storage, but most men go there and steal food.”

“Unless you hide me in a barrel,” I suggested.

“A barrel? But you’ll suffocate. No, how about…ah yes yes it’s perfect. How about we put you in the galley.”

“The galley?”

“Yes!” He said enthusiastically. “There’s plenty of cupboards in there, and there’s one that’s deep enough that I’m sure Fume won’t go in there.”

“I suppose…” I agreed.

“Okay, first thing we’ll do is move you when it turns midnight. Fume usually starts breakfast at six o’clock so we’ll have to move fast.”

“Okay.”

“Right, now get some sleep,” He said as he moved to walk out the door. “Mira?”

“Yes Quinn?”

“Never mind,” And with that he walked out the door.

****

            It couldn’t have been less than three hours when Quinn shook me awake.

“Mira, Mira,” I heard him softly say.

“Yes?” I asked groggily.

“We have to move!” He said fiercely.

“Already?” I asked, bewildered.

“The captain is doing a quarters check, if he finds you here, we’re dead!”

“But---,”

“No time, let’s go!”

            Quinn quickly pulled me out of the bunk and pushed me through the doorway.

“The galley is two doors down on our right,” He whispered.

I quickly walked two doors down and turned. “Which cupboard?” I asked as I entered the galley.

“This one quick!” He pointed to the one farthest from the door. He walked over to it and opened the cupboard door only to reveal empty space. “Crawl all the way to the back, I’ll bring something to block you.” He gestured for me to crawl in.

I bent down and pinched my nose in disgust, the smell was horrifying. But, I quickly crawled in and looked back.

“I’ll be back soon, I promise,” Quinn whispered.

I nodded and moved to a comfortable position in the cramped cupboard.

            When I agreed to go with Quinn, this wasn’t what I wanted. I thought regretfully.

***************************************************************************************************************

YAY I FIXED IT XDD So how'd you like it? uh oh she has some regrest :O