Chapter 6 (Blooming)

Jake smiled at himself in the mirror when Kelly finally thought she was finished with him. He was wearing dark jeans with a white t-shirt under a black blazer. Kelly had gelled his black hair in an upward style that he knew would remain that way all night, given the amount of gunk she sprayed on it. She had made him shower much longer than usual and made him wash his face - twice. It made him a bit uncomfortable knowing that she had timed how long he showered and how bossy she could get, but he had to admit, the end result was worth it. He looked good.

'You look so sexy!' Kelly called and placed her fingers over her lips. She did a little jump. 'I have to get a picture of this,' she said. 

'No!' Jake called out and hid his face from her phone just as a flash went off. 

'Whaaaatt?' Kelly whined. 

Jake laughed. 'I hate photos,' he said.

'Well, you're gonna take pictures with Thneed tonight, aren't you?' she asked. 

He wanted to say no but knew better of it. 'Liz has a photo booth at her party, doesn't she?' he asked. 

Kelly laughed. 'She always has!' she said. Kelly checked her phone. Jake glanced at himself again. Kelly had really done a good job. 

His mother walked into the room and smiled at him. She leaned into the door and smiled at him. 'Wow,' she said. Jake smiled and walked over to her. He looked more like his dad than he did his mother. 

Ruth Brown was not a tall woman but he could hardly be regarded as short. She had bright brown eyes and long black hair that she usually wore in a bun. She still looked young even at her age which was forty-seven. Currently, she was wearing a pair of faded jeans and a blue tank without shoes. 

Jake kissed his mother on the cheek. 'I should probably get going,' he said, cutting past her. 

She frowned. 'I thought Athena was coming here,' she said, seeming disappointed.

'Yeah,' Kelly said, equally confused. 

He turned to look at them. 'Yeah, but I'm not comfortable with a girl picking me up. It just feels wrong. So I'm gonna go get her,' he said.

Kelly scoffed. 'Does she know about this arrangement?' Kelly asked. 

Jake shrugged. He was already backing out of the hall to the living rom. 'I figure the less time she has to decide, the better my chances are. No way am I going to let a girl pick me up. It's degrading,' he said and jogged to the living room. He grabbed his keys off the counter then turned around just as the two ladies entered the room. He thanked Kelly again and gave him mother a hug then was off. 

The drive to the Thompson residence was quick since he was used to walking there. Jake felt a smile tug at his lips as he walked up the stoned pathway to their front door. He was looking forward to spending the night with Athena. Being around her, brought back a good part of his life that he regretted losing. He reached the front door and knocked. The second the door at the Thompson residence opened for him, Jake knew he was in trouble. If the sudden weakness he felt in his legs wasn't making it obvious enough, the acceleration of his heart was a slap in the face.

Athena seemed surprised but smiled at him. 'Hey,' she said. Jake's poor brain could barely form a sentence as he stared at her. 'What are you doing here? I was supposed to pick you up,' she said. Jake was very aware that his jaw had dropped but somehow he couldn't bring himself to lift it or find his voice. Athena raised her eyebrows. Her shoulders shook slightly as she laughed silently. 'Jake.' Jake realised he was making a complete fool out of himself and needed some way to recover fast. He dropped his eyes to her feet. 'Jake?'