So Rydon Hates Me But Protects Me...?

Gary looked at us and began making the drinks he supposedly promised everyone. Rydon walked outside and I looked at Gary. "Did you see that coming?"

He shook his head. "Not my business."

I stood dumbfounded and shook it off. "Need any help?"

"No thanks, Nessie," he said. "Are you okay though?"

I nodded. "Yeah, fine. Just... Confused."

"Go talk to him," he said.

"He hates me though," I said.

"Hey, I just heard what happened, are you okay?" John asked me as he ran into the kitchen.

"Yeah, terrific," I waved my hand. "Rydon actually...saved me. Like Dan was scared of him or something..."

"Rydon? The Rydon that's a jackass?" John clarified.

I nodded.

"That's weird," he said.

My phone buzzed and my mom was calling me.

"Hello?" I answered the phone.

"Hey, Vanessa, don't come home this weekend. The twins are at a sleepover and I want the house to myself. Love you. Bye."

She hung up and I put my phone in my pocket.

"Everything okay?" He asked.

I nodded. "I'm gonna call Grace."

"Okay," he said.

I went into the bathroom and locked the door. The phone rang three times and she answered.

"Hey, what's up?" Grace said.

"Hey, Grace. Not much. John drug me to some barbecue I don't wanna be at," I rolled my eyes.

"That sucks," she laughed.

"What are you up to this weekend?" I asked.

"Nothin, why?" She asked.

"Do you mind if I come? My mom kinda won't let me come back for the weekend," I said.

"Yeah sure of course," she said.

"Awesome, thanks so much," I said.

"No problem. How's the barbecue?" She asked.

"Fine I guess. I'll tell you about it when I get there," I said.

"Okay. Text me when you're on your way," she said.

"Okay. See ya," I said.

"Bye, Felicia," she laughed and hung up.

I walked out of the bathroom and grabbed the Dr. Pepper I had made before Dan snuck up behind me and went to join everyone else outside. No matter what Rydon had done in the past, I had to thank him properly. I walked around and found him skipping stones in the lake that Gary had in his backyard.

"Hey," I stood next to him.

"What, dancy?" He asked throwing another one.

"I just wanted to thank you for what you did. And that I really appreciate it," I said.

He shrugged. "It's like I told you. That shit shouldn't happen to anybody."

I nodded. "Well, if I can repay you, let me know."

I walked away and sat by the fire. Rydon soon joined where the fire was and I was barely holding open my eyes. John kept nudging me, making me wake up, but I didn't want him to. Why didn't he just let me sleep? There were no more games or anything. Everyone was just talking like normal teens.

Seeing everyone interact made me semi smile. I was waiting for a quarrel, but it didn't happen. And I was thankful for that. It was just a normal Friday night. John wrapped his arm around me and pulled me to his arm so I could rest my head.

"You ready to go?" He asked.

"Boy, I been ready," I chuckled.

John helped me up and I tried to fully wake up.

"Bye, y'all," John said. "Vanessa is passing out, so I'm takin her home."

John tried to sling me over his shoulder, but couldn't do it.

"John, I can walk," I slurred out of exhaustion.

"No you can't, dancy," Rydon said, lifting me bridal style with ease.

"Don't touch her," John snapped.

"Calm down, happy feet. You have the keys in hand and she's too tired to walk. No pranks or anything tonight," he assured him.

"Fine. Thanks," John said.

My eyes were half closed, half open. Finally I just let them fully close, but I could hear things and feel things. Like how I could feel the cold light wind making goosebumps rise on my arms and legs, Rydon's arms holding me in place, and the murmur of their conversation. I felt myself being transferred to the passenger seat and Rydon buckled me in. My door was shut and I shifted in my seat.

John started the truck and we started to drive off.

"Hey, John," I mumbled.

"Yeah?" He asked.

"Will you take me to Grace's?" I asked.

"Yeah, sure. I'll wake you up when we get there," he said.

"Thank you," I slurred and enjoyed the ride.

You sometimes didn't learn much at parties, but I learned one thing. Rydon hated me, but still protected me. Should I be worried?