Chapter 2: Thank You

----A Break----

Armin awoke the next morning, covered in sweat. His shirt stuck to his back, and his hair stuck to the sides of his face. He sat up. Someone had covered him back up last night. He tossed the blanket aside, slipping his feet into a pair of slippers. Only a few people were still asleep. He made his way to the door groggily, tripping over a pile of dirty clothes in the process and slamming into the door. 'Damn it!' He cursed. "Oi, shut up," said a half-asleep voice. "S-sorry" Armin opened the door quickly and shuffled out, only to bump straight into someone. He looked up. "A-ah-! Eren!" He stepped back franticly. "Sorry."

Eren laughed. "It's alright, Armin." He held the door open. "Where are you going?"

Armin stiffened, his eyes going . "Oh, god! I'm late for training aren't I?! Crap..!" He started to rush down the hall.

Eren started running after him. "Hey, hey! Wait!" He grabbed the back of Armins elbow. "Slow the hell down!"

"B-but- training!"

"Did you forget?" Eren asked.

"Forget what?" Armin asked hurriedly.

"We have a day off today. Relax."

Armin relaxed. "Oh.. Whew.." He wiped his brow. "Normally one of the Commanders would come wake us up.." He trailed off, glancing down at Eren's hand that was still holding his arm. The skin was perfect; not even a scar from where it had been severed. He must have stared a bit too long, because Eren pulled his hand away and stuffed it in his pocket. His face reddened. "S-sorry.. I didn't mean to grab you"

Armin gave him a small smile. "It's alright."

His mind was racing. "Maybe I do have a chance..!" He said hopefully. Eren looked at him with raised eyebrows. "A chance for what?"

Armin cursed himself. 'Dammit! I said that out loud!'

"N-nothing-!" Armin said with nervous smile. "I didn't mean to say anything-!"

Eren stepped closer. "Can you tell me?"

Armin looked away quickly. "Uh.. It's nothing... I-I don't want to talk about it.." 'Damnit!'

Eren crossed his arms, eyeing Armin thoughtfully.

"S-sorry!" Armin ducked around Eren, wrapping his arms around his stomach. "Oh god.." He muttered, scurrying away and jogging down the hall. "Idiot!" He looked turned around, glancing over his shoulder. No one there. Phew.

Panting, he swerved unto the boys bathroom, shutting the door behind him. He crashed his back against the wall, sliding down. Hugging his knees to his chest, he buried his face in his arms. "Stupid, stupid STUPID!" He leaned his head against the wall, looking up at the ceiling with half opened eyes. 'You need to stop this,' he told himself. He stared ahead in thought. When had he started acting like this? Feeling like this? He didn't know. He just did. The feeling was just there, and it always had been. "He's a BOY" Armin reminded himself. He shook his head, still feeling the same way he did before. "Who am I kidding, it's hopeless."

He sighed sadly, retting his chin on this knees. He remembered his nightmare, the day his best friend, his love, had almost been taken from him. The empty feeling, his tears, and the warmness of Eren's blood on his face. The day he almost lost all hope.

That was the day, the day he knew he was in love with Eren. He ridiculed at the word. "In love.."

He thought to himself for however long, grieving over his inability to be strong for his sake, and Eren's. After some time, enough for his heart rate to calm down, there was a soft knock on the door. Armin jumped up, his heart rate picking up again. 'Crap!' He glanced in the mirror across the room. His eyes were soft pink and puffy, with tear streaks running down his cheeks. He used his sleeve to wipe his eyes. The knob turned. Armin swallowed, his stomach fluttering.

A Burnett head peeked through the cracked door. "A-Armin?"

Eren.

"Did you hear me?!" Armin asked franticly, backing up until he hit the counter. Eren held up his hands submissively.

"Ye... Yeah.. I heard a little.. I-I'm sorry-!" He looked straight at Armin. "I was waiting for you-'I thought you'd come out by now- an-" Armin interrupted him. "Oh my GOD-" his face turned bright red. "Oh my god.."

Eren took a few steps closer. "A-Armin.." He reached his hand out slowly and weakly.

"B-but how much did you hear?" Armin's eyes darted to Eren's hand, though he refrained from making eye contact.

'I could lie,' Eren thought to himself. He looked at his own outstretched hand, reminded of that day. He clenched his hand into a fist. 'No. Be strong- this time, for both of us.' He loosened his fist. "Armin.. I..-" 'how do I say this?!'

Armin smiled nervously. "N-no, ha, it's alright. I mean... I never had a chance a-anyways, r-right?! We're both guys, that would be weird wouldn't it?" His voice was filled with fake pep.

'Just say it, Eren!'

"No, that's not it... I-"

Armin interrupted him. "You don't have to lie.." He said quietly.

Eren stared at him. 'Why is this so difficult!'

He took another step, so close his fingertips barely brushed Armin's cheek.

"E-Eren?!" Armin said, surprised. His cheeks flushed red.

Eren bit his lip, leaning forwards, a few inches from Armin's face. "How do I say this.." He said quietly.

"S-say what?!"

'Words aren't getting me anywhere,' Eren said to himself. 'I guess I'll have to...'

"I-it's hard . . " Eren said.

Confusion crossed Armin's face. "What do you me-!"

He was cut short by Eren, who placed both hands on Armin's cheeks. "Eren, what are you do-!" His eyes went wide, and he made a muffled mumbling sound.

Eren pressed his lips to Armin's, forcefully at first, but then softening and untensing. Armin made a gasping noise, his eyes wide with shock. Eren smiled lightly through the kiss. It was over just like that. He pulled away slowly, wrapping his arms tightly around Armin's shoulders. "I-I'm sorry"

Armin stared at him for a second, then smiled, overridden with nervousness, and joy. "Don't be,"

He took Eren by surprise.

Armin leaned forwards, brushing his lips against Eren's.

'thank you.'