The Show

The Boston Red Sox were coming to the end of a season they would have wished to forget. They would not be going to the play-offs this year, but in their final game of the season against the New York Yankees, they had a chance to make them pack up and go home, too. The Yankees needed to win the game to obtain the American League Wild Card from their divisional rivals, the Tampa Bay Rays. The left-handed hurler, Jon Lester, was the probable pitcher for the upcoming game. But, three days before the game, he started to feel a pinch in his shoulder. With the hopes of a play-off run long gone, they decided to let him rest for the season.

John Farrell, manager of the Red Sox, wanted to bring up a rookie from one the Minor League teams to pitch the game. The Yankees had already seen their pitching rotation enough this year, and he wanted this win badly. There was nothing more gratifying for a Sox player than to make a “Damn Yankee” go home crying. He already knew whom he wanted on the mound for the Friday night match up. He picked up his phone and dialed a number.

“Hank, it’s John Farrell, I’m the manager for the Boston—”

“Red Sox,” Hank finished.

This is it! I’m going to the show!

“John, is there anything I can do for you?”

“As a matter of fact there is. I want you on the mound Friday, when we play the Yankees.”

Hank stood up, almost bumping his head on the ceiling fan of his hotel room. “I thought Lester was scheduled for that game, sir?”

“He was, but we’re giving him the night off, and we decided that we wanted you to be the one to send those bastards packing.”

“Oh, yes, sir! I can do that.” He paused. “What’s next?”

“I’ve already spoken to your manager, that’s how I got your number, he’s going to be knocking on your door soon with your flight itinerary. You should arrive in Boston by Thursday. We set you up in a hotel with the ball club. Your itinerary will have all the details. Just make sure you’re at Fenway no later than noon on Friday, okay?”

“I’ll be there. Thank you, sir.”

“It’s my pleasure, kiddo. Now get some rest. I’ll see you soon.”