74 - To The Banquet

I noticed the Prince was agitated. He had been for several days now. The reason was the Great Emperor Huizhong's birthday banquet that we're currently heading to. When the Prince first told me about it, I had the feeling that he didn't want me to go. But his conflicted expression made me understood that I have to go. The banquet was for the Great Emperor of Wu Xi – his grandfather. 

How would it look if Prince Wu Jian's Wang Fei was not there?

But I didn't have any special skills or talents. I don't really know how to socialize. I don't even know the proper etiquettes within the palace grounds. In fact was I am comfortable being alone.

Wouldn't I just embarrass the Prince if I attend?

I had thought why the Prince didn't take one of his concubines instead, but I didn't dare to voice that opinion. The last two times I spoke of his concubines, he had punished me. I could not handle his punishments. I could not handle seeing him kissing his concubines. More importantly, I don't want to see him holding his concubine the same way he does with me. Just the thought caused my head to hurt.

But ever since we came to Wu Xi, I have not seen any of his concubines.

I have walked the estate often with Jumao to learn the layout. Not once did I find any beautiful woman. The large estate was completely empty of the usual group of beautiful concubines. Shouldn't they all arrive to the estate by now? Shouldn't he send for them? Doesn't he have others within his estate in Wu Xi? After all, Prince Wu Jian was infamous for having many beautiful concubines – some were gifts from noble homes, others were trophies from battles and wars.

"Ruyi"

I was lost in my own thoughts until his deep voice was against my ear. Looking up at him, I suddenly realized that I was sitting on his lap. Even though the carriage was large enough to seat eight people, the Prince had held me on his lap. I wondered if it was a strange sight to see two people occupying only a small area of the large carriage.

"Did you hear what I said?"

He had told me for days that during the banquet, I was not to wonder off - not to eat anything unless it's from him - not to speak with strangers – not to accept things from strangers – and most importantly, do not let anyone touch me.

The banquet celebration will be going on for 3 days. There will be many nobles and royalties from neighboring countries there as guests. The Prince spoke sternly that I was to stay at his side at all times. I didn't understand why the Prince was concern. I had no intention to wonder off or have the desire to socialize with people I don't know. But seeing how worried he was, I just nod.