20 - Secrets

"I don't need to tell you to keep my Wang Fei condition a secret"

Alone in the Sword Hall, the doctor stood nervously before the Prince while he cleaning a swords. With his head bowed low, the doctor knew clearly, more than anyone else, that the great Prince of Wu Xi was not to be trifled with.

Nothing good would happen if people knew about the Prince's wife condition. The truth made the doctor pity the frail young woman. He had treated many royalties and nobles, and no one had ever thanked him like Ruyi. The doctor understood if anyone knew the young woman's condition, they would use her in order to get to the powerful Prince. And seeing firsthand how the Prince adored the frail woman, the doctor realized the gravity of the secret.

"This subject understands..." The doctor said quietly. "There is one thing this subject must say clearly"

When the Prince paused from wiping his sword, the doctor became even more nervous.

"Wang Fei cannot produce an heir"

How important for nobles and royalties when it comes to having heirs?

How important for a woman to have children? For the great Prince of Wu Xi, it is expected for him to have children.

When the Prince slammed the sword onto the table, the entire room shook. The doctor knew the news would anger the Prince but the words must be spoken. Because Ruyi thanked him, he felt he needs to return the favor. He wanted to make sure that her condition is fully explained so that the Prince will be able to shield her in the future.

"Wang Fei's body is poison" The doctor reminded despite the fear he felt from the Prince's deadly eyes. "Her blood is pure poison. The chance of her having children is low. And if by some miraculous chance that she does, no one knows if it could handle its mother's poisonous blood... moreover with her weak institution, this subject doubts she'll live through childbirth"

The doctor felt the air growing thin and cold while the Prince kept silence.

"What is your intention for telling me this?"

"She... has suffered enough" The doctor said quietly as he gathered the last of his courage to speak.

Again, the long silence was suffocating.

"Continue to prepare my Wang Fei the necessary medicine to ease her pain" The Prince finally spoke in a dangerously calm tone. "Allow only the same assistant by your side as you treat Wang Fei. If any words leaked out, I will spare no one in your clan"

The doctor's legs shook.

"Leave"

As soon as the doctor left, two male figures in all black with a black mask over their faces suddenly appeared before him. Both went to one knee before the Prince while he picked up his sword to clean it again.

"Who put poison in my Wang Fei's food"

His question had been casually asked, but his tone held a dangerous calamity that the two people shuttered.

"Concubine Lang Mi and Xin Ly"

The Prince sliced the stone table in front of him in half as soon as they answered him.

"Get rid of them" The Prince said with the same calm tone. "The servants, maids, the cook, I don't want their bones found"

The two figured disappeared, leaving the Prince to clean his sword once more.

"Ming"

Another figure appeared out of the shadows dressed in dark gray robe and mask. His long hair was braid back and a long sword was seen hanging behind his back.

"My Wang Fei will not be harm ever again"

The masked man bowed without words and disappeared back into the shadows. Only when he felt the sword was cleaned, the Prince stood and set it back on the wall among many others.