Chapter Four

It has been forever hasn't it. Okay then. Time to get back into the groove of things.

---------

---------

Daliyah blinked once and smiled kindly. It was truly quite a fitting name for the him. His flighty demeanor proved to be like that of a wild bird. Even then, his eyes flickered with uneasiness. He was clearly ready to leave and be on his way. She found herself gazing up into his eyes, golden orbs, charismatic like a hawk's.

"See, that wasn't hard," she said.

Altair scoffed and turned slightly, moving as a show to say that he meant to leave.

"You can go ahead and say that you want to leave. You could even simply just go." She said this because it was completely true.

Altair grunted in response, his previous chattiness forgotten, as he opened the exit and left without another word or glance back.

Once outside, Altair contemplated on what to do for the rest of the day. Daylight was still visible over the horizon and he had not accomplished much before he had crossed paths with her. An eagle in the distance cawed, lonely and bold, as it sat perched at the very top of a domed tower. Altair slipped in and out of the clusters of people as he made his way to said tower. He had nothing else to do in the meantime anyway.

The whole time he spent climbing the second he reached his destination, Altair had thoughts about Daliyah that fled and return again and again until he finally shook his head free of them or snorted in disbelief. He lived too dangerous a life to think about settling down with someone and he couldn't bear dragging an innocent woman into his life full of turmoil and action. Then again, when did he ever feel compassion? Since his father had died so many years ago, his heart had hardened and he had found that he had difficulty showing any compassion or feelings in general. He only showed arrogance and confidence, despite making himself look bad. He simply did not care.

The flutter of wings wrecked Altair's train of thought. The same eagle he had seen perched there was still there, proudly looking over the land. As Altair bent into a low crouch and inched closer to edge of the wooden beam-like platform, the eagle hopped off and flew a circle around the tower, it's wings ripping through the air like razors. Altair let the cold wind calm his nerves and cool the sweat on his forehead. He loved watching the city from above, and getting to know every single corner.

As soon as his golden eyes seemed to have visually poked and probed the city's contents, he shifted onto his toes and tips of his fingers to brace for a leap of faith.

And he sprang, like a cat jumping down from a ledge, but instead of falling and clawing at the air, he splayed his arms out to his sides, leaning forward in the sky, embracing the familiar free-fall feeling. After one moderately quick revolution, he landed safely in a large bale of hay. He heaved himself out with a grunt. He was satisfied with his day, if slightly bothered by it.

------

------

I know this is pretty short. I'll try to make the chapters longer as I continue. I have three more weeks of mandatory summer school since I'll he attending high school in the fall. Boop!