Chapter Two

Altaïr lifted himself out of the Assassin's Bureau with a new task from the Rafiq. He was to kill a man who spoke of false promises and encouraged dangerous dreams and hopes.

As Altaïr walked discreetly through the streets of Jerusalem, he thought back to the run-in with the woman back at the rooftop garden. Now that he was thinking more about it, he realised he had met her not far from the false-speaking man. What if she believed his lies?

Altaïr shook his head and frowned. Why should he care? She was just another civilian. But, he had to admit, he was starting to get a little careless with his work. He needed to train more.

Turning the corner, he saw his target; he was a fairly plump man with a week-old stubble protruding from his chin. There was one problem though. The man wasn't alone. Maybe a dozen guards stood fairly close to him. Altaïr groaned silently to himself as he went to walk with a group of scholars. As soon as he was close enough, he stepped up to the man and buried his hidden blade in the man's chest, just above his chestplate. Several people gasped and the rest just scattered. The guards yelled out, "Assassin!" as Altaïr lay the man down, murmuring the Arabic words, "rahamaho allah."

He quickly closed the man's eyes with his forefinger and middle finger, and sprinted down the nearest alley before being intercepted by three guards.

The first one lunged forward with his sword, and Altaïr easily parried it with his hidden blade. The second one came from behind and slashed his sword down the length of Altaïr's back. Altaïr winced in pain as he felt blood start to trickle down from his new wound. He swiftly shoved his hidden blade into the gaurd's throat and sprinted away, going down the nearest alley and climbing up a nearby building as fast as he could. Just as he saw a place for him to hide, an arrow grazed his left arm.

'Damned archers,' he thought as he ran off, the archers shooting arrows at him as he fled.

"I'm going to faint if I lose any more blood," he murmured, raising his hand the wound on his shoulder. "I need someplace to hide."

Fortunately, Altaïr saw a familiar rooftop garden and quickly scaled it within a matter of seconds while the guards shouted profanities at him. Hurriedly, he slammed his foot against the entrance on the floor repeatedly until it swung open, revealing the woman from the day before. Her eyes stretched wide, but before she could say anything, Altaïr cupped a hand over her mouth and slammed the door shut behind him. The woman's breath tickled his palm and he felt his heartbeat slowly calm down as the guards yelled just outside. After some time, silence fell and Altaïr let his hand fall back to his side.

"W-who are you?" the woman asked, studying the appearance of the man standing in front of her.

"Look, I'm sorry," Altaïr murmured, holding his shoulder. "I was being chased by guards and this was the closest place I come to to hide. Agh, but don't worry, I won't bother you. I'll leave now."

Altaïr turned to open the door, drawing a gasp from the woman.

"You are not going out there bleeding that much!" she ordered.

Altaïr froze at the sternness and determination that reminded him of his deceased friend, Asiya. The memory of his old friend makes him internally wince as he frowns and lifts the door.

"It's fine," he says coldly. "I must g-"

The woman grabbed Altaïrs uninjured arm and dragged him down the stairs and into a small, warm room. Books in Latin, Arabic, Greek, and English lined bookshelves pushed against the walls. He wouldn't admit it, but he was impressed. The woman came to an abrupt stop and stared at him impatiently.

"Well?" she asked. When he gave her a confused look, she quickly added, "take off your robe so I can dress your wounds."

--------------------

Short update before I go to sleep :D

Also, Asiya? Who is SHE? Lol she's a character in another fanfiction I'm doing so this is sorta after it and sorta spoilers. So... Enjoy :3 heh