Prologue

A/N: This chapter is short.  It's an introduction for a story with an unusual pairing I have in mind.  Yes, for those who read the summary, it's a Jellal/Lucy pairing.

Now, I am aware that most hard core Fairy Tail fans ship Jellal and Erza and Natsu and Lucy together, but I'm attempting to break from the norms.  Wish me good luck and give this story a read!

The story begins after the anime (Season 2: Episode 90).  It will be a cannon divergence.

Warning: The characters will be ooc.  There will be lime in later chapters.

-----

Lucy Heartfilia sat on a pile of rubble -the remains of Fairy Tail- with a broken heart.  She had received a letter from Natsu and Happy revealing that they left on a journey to become stronger and wouldn't return for one year.  Having no idea what to do, she ventured toward Fairy Tail with hopes of meeting the other members.  She saw Master Makarov and another strange figure who wore the Magic Council outfit.  The master had his pointer finger and thumb in the air to symbolize Fairy Tail.  The stranger behind him stood shocked.

"From here on forth, Fairy Tail is disbanded," the old man said.

Had she heard him correctly?

That was how she found herself seated on a large rock, looking forlorn.  Master Makarov stood in front of her, trying his best to console her.

"You have to understand that in this battle people need time to heal," he said.  He wasn't sure if the tragically struck blond was digesting the information well with her body hunched over, her head in her hands.

"No."  She slightly shook her head in denial.  "Fairy Tail always sticks together no matter what.  That's what makes us strong; being a family."

"It does, but after what happened our family needs time to heal."

"They do but that's what rebuilding Fairy Tail is all about, right?"  The girl peered at him through the gaps of her fingers.  He could see a fragile light of hope in her dark brown eyes.  He wanted to find the right words, to keep the hope alive but he wasn't one to lie bluntly to his children.  In fact, he didn't want to put his children through another hell like Tartaros.

"Unfortunately...." As soon as the word left his mouth, he noticed it.  The light in her eyes dimmed into shadows.  She collapsed onto her knees on the dirty ground and began sobbing.

Through the sobs and him awkwardly trying to comfort her, the blond shakily handed him a wrinkled envelope.  Retrieving it from her trembling fingers, he opened it and his eyebrows tugged together on his wrinkly face at the sloppy written content.  Now, he understood why Lucy felt the way she did.  Natsu and Happy left on a journey without her.  He knew Erza and Gray went separate ways to face their own demons.

Fairy Tail was healing but it meant that the family had to divide.

And Lucy was left alone.

"Child," he said as he referred all the members of Fairy Tail as his own children. He gently grabbed her right hand, stilling her.  "Fairy Tail will always be family and no matter how many miles apart we are that family bond can't be broken."  He lifted her right hand, finally getting her attention, he showed her the back of it where the pink Fairy Tail sign was tattooed on her skin.  "And this emblem is what connects us.  As long as you have it, Fairy Tail is still alive."

The girl nodded her head as tears streamed down her cheeks.  The little spark emerged in her beautiful eyes.  Lucy, although still a fairly new member, was the light of Fairy Tail.

The master stayed with her until she felt better.  She wasn't aware how much time she spent weeping her heart out but she knew they would have to return home and at some point she would have to face reality.

"Are you going to be okay?" the old man asked her.

Giving him a shaky smile, she answered, "I'm not right now...."  She didn't need to continue. He got the message.

Master Makarov placed his hand on her shoulder. 

She lightly placed her hand on his one.  "But don't worry about me."

That was Lucy of Fairy Tail.  Compassionate and kind.

Her problems were second when it came to the well-being of others.

His eyes shut as he pinched the bridge of his tender nose. He wanted to stay behind to make sure she was alright but judging from her intelligence, he'd expect within time she would come to see why he disbanded Fairy Tail.

"I have to go," he said with sorrow.  He removed the other appendage from her shoulder and clasped both of his hands behind him.

She nodded her head again, afraid to speak.  He backed up slowly, measuring each step while watching her.   Then his little form vanished, leaving her alone with the remains of Fairy Tail.

Like her, the pieces were broken. 

And things that were shattered were hard to piece together again.

_____

A/N: Don't hit the back button just yet.  Give the next chapter a read too!