Chapter 3 - Bonfire

That same night, as I was lying perfectly content over my bed with a book in my hand and a sleepiness in my eyes, Phoenix had stormed into my room and managed to make me feel bad enough to accompany her to the annual senior bonfire on the first school night. I didn't exactly want to leave my house at nine o'clock to go see more of the people I would see again tomorrow, but I knew how much it meant to Phoenix.

I slipped quickly into a pair of jeans, a floral blouse, and a brown jacket. I chose a pair of old converse for comfort, since the senior bonfires were obviously held outdoors. How Phoenix could wear a dress and high heeled boots to a bonfire was beyond my realm of understanding, but I admired her for it. I slipped on my glasses and combed through my hair, then stared at my purse and wondered if it would be practical to resort to old habit and shove a book in there. In the end, there was no question, and the book had to be inside the purse if I was going to bulletproof this night. If worse came to worst, I would hide behind a tree and read with my phone light.

"We'll take my car," Phoenix chirped when I entered the small, dated kitchen. My brother Chad, who was over a foot taller than the petite girl, stood beside her a little closely.

"I'll drive," he said, "so that we actually make it in one piece."

She rolled her eyes and pinched the skin of his arm, taking him completely by surprise so that he was wincing and rubbing his arm forcefully.

"I'll drive if it's going to become a battle between you two," I smiled. "But first, I'm going to-"

"Have some chamomile." They both said in unison.

I tilted my head to the side. "How did you-?"

"You always have a cup of that tea whenever you're going somewhere remotely social, Cece."

"Oh yeah," confirmed Phoenix. "You say it calms your nerves."

I shrugged and continued, resorting to the quicker and less amazing way of making tea, with microwaved water in a to-go cup and a little yellow bag. I dumped in two spoonfuls of sugar and secured it with the lid. "Okay, I'm set."

"I'll drive, since it is my car and you suck, Chad." Then to me, "And Cece, my dearest friend, you drive like my nana."

I chuckled, not the least bit offended by the truth. "If I had a car and some practice then maybe I'd drive a bit faster."

"Let's go," my brother interrupted. "We need to pick up Dean."

Suddenly I freezed before I could reach the counter. I looked at Phoenix, whose face imitated my discomfort, but her discomfort was felt because of concern toward me, and a look of worry washed over her eyes.

"Why does that jerk have to come along, Chad?" she asked him.

"Because he's my bud? On the team? And one of the coolest guys in the school?" He rolled his eyes sarcastically and took the keys from the counter, handing them to Phoenix with a grin. "My lady."

She grimaced. "You're gross."

Silently I started walking toward the door.

A good hour later we made it to the woods of eastern Massachusetts, to the same spot where seniors met every year on the first day to commemorate it being the last one they would have while in high school. It was a good idea in theory, if it didn't get out of hand. Clusters of cars were parked closely together in an opening of the woods that stood alive from the rest of the area, brimming with teenagers, music, and the light of a large and captivating bonfire. I was impressed at the sight of the fire, crackling calmly and potently into the dark night air, students huddled around it, sitting or standing.

Phoenix, Dean, Chad, and I walked together to the gathering, and the two guys hadn't walked two steps before they were greeted by everyone who saw them.

"Well, the fire's pretty," I said to Phoenix, whose eyes quickly found Riley standing in the distance with other members of the basketball team and a few girls. I recognized my friend Aly to the left, talking with calm, spectacle-wearing folk that made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I would drop by and say hi to them later, when I had paid my debts with my best friend. Eventually she would become the center of some group and I would be able to slip away and talk to the nerdy, boring people I belonged with.

"Let's go see Riley," she said, tugging on my arm. I followed behind her, moving clumsily over pieces of branches and fallen leaves that cracked underneath my feet.

"Phoenix, you're going too fast. I think I'm going to-"

I shut up when we reached Riley and his friends, letting Phoenix have her moment. "Hey, Riley." She gave him a quick hug.

The man in question hugged her back, a single arm resting casually over her shoulders. He met my eyes and smiled. "Hey, girls. Didn't think you'd come."

"We did," I smiled. "You can thank Phoenix for dragging me out of my bed." He laughed, stepping away from his group to chat with us newcomers.

"Any of you want something to drink? There's beer and water."

"Beer," Phoenix smiled charmingly.

"I'll have a water. But you two stay here. I'll get it." I was gone before Riley could get the protest out of his mouth, returning a few minutes later with a water bottle and one red solo cup filled just below the middle, courtesy of me.

"Here," I said, handing it to Phoenix.

She took the cup and weighed it in her hands, smiling when she looked into it. "Wow, Cece, thanks for the child portion."

"You're very welcome," I smiled widely at her, ignoring her quip. Riley resorted to laughing under his breath.

Suddenly I felt a hand snake it's way over my waist, clenching into my skin. One look to the side and I knew it was Dean, a coil of disgust rolling down my spine. If he did not annoy me at least once tonight he wouldn't be able to live with himself.

"Hmmm, Celia Cedric with a water bottle in hand," he started loudly, his voice boisterous in my ear. I quickly removed his hand from my body and moved a foot away from him. "I bet there's a book in that little purse of yours, huh? A journal? Where you can write about me?"

"Get lost," Riley spoke with distaste.

"Please do," Phoenix nodded her head in affirmation. "You really know how to stink a place up, Dean."

His perfect smirk lengthened, and the glint behind the brown of his eyes was downright cold. "And leave Cece alone? Never, I like watching her eyes get all annoyed behind those big glasses." Then he turned his attention to me, looking straight into my eyes as I squirmed out of his grasp. "It's past your bedtime, honey. Want me to take you home?"

My brother cut in with a roll of his eyes and a disbelieving grin over his lips. I knew better than to let his mere dismissals of Dean's behavior get to me, but I couldn't bring myself to be thankful to him for stepping in. "Come on, Dean. Leave my sister alone."

I cut in before anyone could say another word. "I'm going to go hang out with Aly for a little while. I'll catch up with you in a bit," I said smoothly to Phoenix, slipping away from them as I ignored the disappointed sounds Dean made dramatically behind me. When Aly and her friends saw me walking to them, I smiled and waved.

"So," I began shyly. "Care to adopt me?"