Session 7

Keenan got the key for me again two days later, even though he swore he wouldn't help me anymore. I didn't say anything about it when he handed it to me after breakfast though, because I knew he wouldn't take it well. He didn't want to be known as the good guy, even though he was.

Each day brought us closer together. I'm not saying that he was the grandest person of all or that he was a great guy to hang out with, because he wasn't. I could never tell his motives most of the time, which made him pretty suspicious. He also teased me a hell of a lot that got my blood boiling, but then later on I wouldn't mind it much. Not because I liked it or anything, but because he helped me out to make up for it. It was half-assed but it was help nonetheless.

I could tell that our sudden proximity scared him shitless, though. I'm not sure why. For example, when I told a joke, he would laugh joyously then frown a second later as if he couldn't believe what he had just done. I told him one time that there were certain people that were meant to be friends, no matter what their social status or personalities were. Jesus, that made him sour as hell.

I wasn't quite intent on finding out what Keenan really was. Part of me never wanted to find out. By the way he acted and the way he spoke of humans, it seemed as if he was something I could never comprehend. Something bigger than all of us. More powerful. I used to laugh at myself for thinking that something other than humans and animals existed, but at one point, I stopped laughing.

I left Cillian alone with the corn an hour early, telling him that I was starting to feel dizzy from the sun. He didn't say much to me; just jerked his head towards the house with his eyebrows pulled together. Keenan had told me that he probably suspected something but was too dumb to find out. I prayed to God that he was telling me the truth. I didn't want to admit it, but I knew that I'd back out of the plan the minute Cillian found out.

Keenan walked me back to the house, pretending to hold onto me to keep myself from falling. He always had to walk me to and from the field. Cillian was afraid that I'd try running off again.

As soon as the door was shut, we raced over to the bookcase, steadily pushing it from its spot with little noise.

"Careful, Jack," Keenan told me as I unlocked the door. "Even though she seems willing to say or do anything now, just keep in mind the situation she's in. She can crack at any second."

"I know. Will you be up here? You know...for Cillian?"

Keenan looked down at his socks, frowning slightly. "It doesn't seem like I have much of a choice. Get down there, will you?"

He pushed me to walk down a couple of steps before slamming the door shut. I figured that maybe he had people issues. Maybe something had happened in the past, and he didn't want to get close to anyone anymore. I never asked him about it, though. I figured I didn't have the right to.

I flicked on the lights and walked down the steps slowly, ignoring the bad smell. I entered the clear space and found the woman unbound, but bleeding from her morning beating. I pulled out the napkin from my pocket, stepping closer to her until I remembered what Keenan had told me.

"Is it alright if I touch you?" I asked with a soft voice, as if speaking to a child. The woman grew stiff for a moment and then relaxed, nodding to an extent.

I crouched down in front of her and touched her chin lightly, moving her head to face me. She was a pretty woman behind the cuts, bruises, and scrapes. I could tell that she had a lot running for her by the proud glint in her dark eyes. I started feeling like a dirty bastard all of a sudden, as if I was the one who had hit her.

I took a deep breath and brought the napkin to her busted lip, dabbing it delicately. "I'm sure you know why I'm here," I said to her. "I need to find a way to get us both out of here. But I need answers first."