Chapter Five - Part One

Darkness engulfed Cekoti, binding to him. Choking, suffocating; it was almost too much. But there was nothing, not even light. This was their world; their creation. They had made a mistake, destroyed their home for this – for nothing.

***

Light blossomed from their hands, swirling constantly; a solid ball of fire. Cekoti shivered with pleasure; light. He smiled slowly; the heat was nice, compared to the cold hell he’d been stuck in for the last age. How long had it been before they’d figured out how to make things? Years, if not centuries. Dammed to a hell with no light, just power that they couldn’t touch with their auras. But now there was light, and it was good. Light, and heat. He smiled; even Gods liked to indulge themselves.

“What should we do next?” Lasinn asked. “Now we can construct a world. Our world… We can be the Gods we wanted to be!”

The word still sounded odd out loud; Gods. They hadn’t spoken much, maybe that’s why. But the Gods they wanted to be… What did they want when they slaughtered their world? Power? Safety? Cekoti tried to think of something else, but thoughts were damming. They always were, especially when stuck with them for millennia.

***

Cekoti reached into himself, into the Well that was him. He was now power; he no longer drank from the pool, but bathed in it. His every move he could feel the others, linked to the same Well. But that’s what they were about to change. They had to prevent the crisis that had surrounded them before. The reason they once had nothing at all. Now they had light, heat and power. But no world, no creations. They now understood how it worked; magic wasn’t finite. He could feel the power building inside him all the time; it regenerated, and the more there was, the faster it did so. It was a wonder, really.

But if they could split the pool, there would be more magic, over time. The load would be split, less being drained from each Well, so more magic overall. It would work, everything had so far. Understanding was a sweet nectar, a treat like no other. Their evil actions led to this, but maybe the end justified the means. They had no real choice; live and kill, or die and do nothing. He could see it now.

 Weaves sprang into his head, and he created them. His mind working faster than ever before, he spun the threads without thought, forming the spells to split the Well. Over and over they worked, each passing weaves between each other. They no longer needed a circle, they were power itself; they shared it all. They were truly Gods.

Suddenly the power left him, he felt weak. Something had gone wrong; they had split the Wells as planned. It hadn’t affected his power until… Until he let go… He reached for the Source, but they were barred to him; the others were gone. He’d lost his power, permanently. Split between six.

“We forgot to link them,” Luvesi said. “Form a circle; we’ll put this right.”

But the threads didn’t form in his mind. He had lost his Godhood; they had tricked him. Something approached him; a thread of power… He recoiled as it touched; the thread was alive, conscious. It was an extension of Luvesi as she reached out to him. He shivered with pleasure, the power came back… The knowledge… Cekoti smiled, happiness filling him. He drew from the Wells, all twelve of them. Now there was power, and he knew that it was good.

***

Cekoti felt his shoulders tense; they had got together again - this time to create their worlds. Finally they’d be able to nurture their creatures through life like real Gods, not like the scum they had had. The Gods could have saved their world and intervened, instead they had allowed for it to be replaced with nothing. Nothing for millennia. No, they would be better than that – walking alongside man and creature alike, helping, guiding; teaching. They would be benevolent Gods.

Cekoti reached out into himself once more, rapidly spinning the weaves that appeared in his mind. Magic had become so easy with Luvesi guiding everything; he could sit back as his mind took over, no longer having to remember all the individual details to the weave or how it all fit in together. That was now her job.

He surrendered his weaves to her, allowing her to construct the spell. She could probably do this on her own, with all the power they had… In fact, why did they bother working together at all? They could each have a world, or two, that they looked after… What was wrong with that? Having a whole civilisation adoring just you….

He would raise the point the next time they spoke, next time they planned a weave together. He looked at the weave that his sister had finished, it was magnificent; much more complicated than anything they could have ever have hoped to achieve before their ascension, and yet, it had become ordinary. Such magical feats were to be expected. He almost wished they would fail just to give him something to do again.

But it didn’t. The globe spun faster, the eddies of light swirling inwards, and then disappearing. And in its place was their world… in its place was a rock. A very large rock, but a rock nonetheless. Life could never survive on it, it was a fucking rock.

He felt himself moving towards the rock, the gravity pulling him downwards; he felt the atmosphere as he plummeted down, and landed heavily in the hard rock. That was something at least. They’d just have to do more work than he originally thought. But life would come; he would have a people, like the Ethardi. He would be their ruler as he led them to greatness.

He looked around at the uneven heap of rock, and smiled for he knew it was a start.

***

I would like to apologise for the lateness of this update - for some reason Wattpad wasn't letting me  until now.

I would really like to know your thoughts on this chapter and the style in which it was written - do you think it worked? And as always, if you want to ask any questions, feel free to go ahead!

Many thanks,

Cekoti.