Chapter Two - Part One

“We have to find the source of this power!” Ranak paced the room, his excitement barely contained by his body. “Think about it; we would be like Gods, unstoppable. We wouldn’t even need to bother about politics anymore; we could finally make the world a better place by removing corrupt members of state. Remove crime completely, do what our parents wanted!”

“You’ve finally gone fucking mad, haven’t you?” Lasinn said, turning his back on his brother. “How would setting up a dictatorship help anyone? Power corrupts; you can see it all around us, why would you want a part of that?”

“We’re already a part of it. We’re council members for goodness sake! Do you not think that at least someone is plotting against us? There are probably whole factions watching, waiting to take us down or offer us a job. Why shouldn’t we be able to defend ourselves?” Ranak took a deep breath, allowing himself to calm down. “All I’m saying is surely we should try and explore this possibility before someone else does; what if our enemies got hold of all that power?”

“And so what, you plan to just use this power and take down our enemies?” Lasinn leant against the window. “What then? If we kill them off ten more will fill their place; you can’t honestly believe that we can beat them with brute force? We would cause a civil war; think of just how many people would die!”

“As many as we wanted if we had our hands on that power. I’m pretty sure we could bring people back to life with this much power; you haven’t felt it, you don’t know how it feels to be surrounded by infinite energy. If we could use that for our magic we would be able to save everyone in this world; we could finally change it for the better. This democracy is just a ruse for a dictatorship, for fuck’s sake we could change it!”

“To what though?” Lasinn’s voice softened as he turned back to face his younger brother. “You’re sounding more and more like father every minute; look where it got him. We survived only because we were children, but all his blasphemies achieved were his and mother’s deaths; all of our family murdered, killed for his beliefs. So why should we go down that route? Why kill ourselves?”

“That’s what we have to change! How can we let those bastards get away with murder that everyone knows they did? People cower from the shadows in night, plaster fake smiles during day. How much longer can we go on living like this? We have suffered hundreds times over for our father’s actions, surely it must be time to get our own back? You saw what they almost did to our poor brother, Cekoti; they frightened him shitless – can you tell me that’s right?”

“No, but–”

“But nothing, we should do this.” Ranak glared at his brother, they needed this. The world needed this.

“What about the others, surely they should be here? What if we both get injured, what then?”

“We can do this then report our findings; we don’t always need Luvesi around. Yes, she practically brought us up, but that doesn’t mean she has to lead every single last fucking experiment!”

“Fine, but if you fuck this up again you’re taking the blame; I’m not covering for you like I did last time.”

“I’ll take the credit then if I’m right, but we need another way in; it was too painful going directly through it. We need something to channel through to act as a buffer.” Ranak seized the source, and created four balls of light and hung them on the walls. They helped him concentrate; the constant trickle of magic coursing through his body kept him alert and allowed him to focus on what mattered. And right now, that was overthrowing the Council.

“What about our auras? Before they were discovered, inanimate objects were used to focus the energy, so they can’t just be linked to magic – they have to be a buffer to us. Maybe an extension of the soul itself?”  Lasinn said, his eyes alighting with passion. “And if this is the case, then we could use them to access this energy. How did we get to it last time?”